Subject: GLBT HATE CRIME HOTLINE AVAILABLE TOLL-FREE NATIONWIDE (fwd)

From: Kenneth Sherrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:39:13 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 20:31:31 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: GLBT HATE CRIME HOTLINE AVAILABLE TOLL-FREE NATIONWIDE

STOP THE HATE!!      STOP THE VIOLENCE!!

**Please distribute & post as widely as possible -- please add to your
resource lists**

A bilingual, non-profit, toll-free hotline is available to assist all victims
of anti-gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/HIV-positive incidents and provide
them with a centralized source of information and documentation.  The Gay &
Lesbian National Victims' Assistance Hotline (GLNVAH: 800-259-1536) is a
24-hour project of LAMBDA GLBT Community Services Anti-Violence Project
(AVP), located in El Paso, TX.

Since 1991, LAMBDA has provided education, information and assistance to men
and women who have experienced anti-gay and anti-lesbian violence, sexual
assault, domestic violence, HIV-related violence and other forms of criminal
victimization.

GLNVAH is staffed by trained, carefully supervised, volunteers who provide
crisis intervention, information and referrals to persons who have
experienced terrifying violence or more common anti-gay incidents, such as
discrimination, harassment, or vandalism.  Callers may remain anonymous and
all information is kept strictly confidential.

The hotline accepts calls 24-hours per day.

The Gay & Lesbian National Victims Assistance Hotline is committed to
supporting local switchboards, anti-violence projects, and hotlines across
the country.  Callers to the GLNVAH referred to the AVP, victim advocacy
program, or queer switchboard that is closest to them.

"We hope that anyone with information to report will call us or their local
AVP," said Rob Knight, president of LAMBDA.  "Anti-gay brutality and
discrimination has long been invisible, mainly because it is among the least
reported of crimes," said Knight.

People targeted with expressions of intolerance and hate often fear reporting
incidents to police due to fear.  Some may not recognize subtle expressions
of hate as reportable incidents.

"Ask a gay person if they have been called a 'faggot',  been involved in
same-gender domestic violence, or felt scared because they might be attacked
while in public, and you will be surprised at how often the answer is 'yes.'
 Anti-gay rhetoric is so common that it is largely ignored.

"People are taught to fear queer people and those who are HIV-positive -- and
that fear, unchallenged, often leads to violence," said Knight.  "The first
step in countering the hate is to report it.  If we don't know about it, we
can't help."

For information or assistance, call the 24-hour
Gay & Lesbian Victims' Assistance Hotline at
800-259-1536
or write to LAMBDA GLBT Community Services AVP, attn:GLNVAH,
PO Box 31321, El Paso, TX 79931-0321 USA

Office: 915-562-GAYS  FAX: 915-533-6024
Email: [email-masked]

Link us to your web site!  http://www.duke.edu/~ker1/avp.html

Founded in 1991, LAMBDA GLBT Community Services is an all-volunteer,
non-profit, LesBiGay organization.  LAMBDA is a national tracking member of
the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP).

LAMBDA's mission is to eliminate discrimination in all its forms, and
enlighten the public about homosexuality/bisexuality through education and
support.

Your donations are tax deductible.  The entire organization is run by
volunteers. All financial donations go directly to supporting LAMBDA's
services.

                                                       ###

**********

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]; put a line saying
            unsubscribe kenslist
in the body.  (This may fail if your address has changed since you signed
up; if so, or for other assistance, contact [email-masked].)