From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 02:32:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 22:47:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: Neil David Perry <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Any Signers in the Family out there?
>
> I am involved in a sign language program in Southern California, and
> really want to find out how to meet people in the deaf queer community.
> I am taking these course at a very conservative college, and
> have absolutely no access at this time.  Does anyone have any suggestions
> or contacts out there?

There are many many organizations for people who are gay and
hearing-impaired, with the most in California.  My "Big Gay Book" lists no
less than 18 around the nation, and the list is incomplete because I know of
groups in NYC that are not included.  Here is the list, and the book's
preface.  The last group is in S. Cal.  Good luck!

>From "The Big Gay Book" ("How We Organize ... and Why: The Hearing
Impaired", pp 62-64):

"The deaf haven't been recognized as a special interest organization for
long.  While they've often fought against the dehumanization and
stereotyping  that society has laid on them, we've not often paid attention
to their issues.

Only recently have deaf protests against their treatment in the educational
system and at the hands of professionals who claimed their world as their
own private work made a difference in the society's perception.

The gay deaf have organized themselves around the United States and Canada.
They offer supoortive situations for the newly coming out and also a place
where the deaf can meet one another and construct mutually important
relationships.

THE RAINBOW ALLIANCE is the national umbrella organization for these groups.
Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf, PO Box 14182, Washington DC, 20044-4182"

California:

Orange County Rainbow Society of the Deaf
4412 S. Constitution Avenue, Orange CA 92669

Southern California Lambda Association of the Deaf
c/o Lee Ellis, 4192 33rd Street, #1, San Diego, CA 92104

Rainbow Deaf Society
PO Box 1606
San Francisco, CA  94101

San Jose Lambda Society of the Deaf
PO Box 90035
San Jose, CA  95109-3035

Southern California Rainbow Society of the Deaf
PO Box 2686
Van Nuys, CA  91404"