From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 19:14:34 PDT

STONEWALL NEWSLETTER

Volume 3, Number 2
April 1995

"PERVERSE" MOD FACES CHALLENGE

The MoD faces a growing number of legal cases challenging the ban
on lesbians and gay men serving in the armed forces.  Ex RAF
nurse Jeanette Smith won leave to apply for judicial review on 8
March.  Leave has since been granted to ex RAF sergeant Graeme
Grady and Duncan Lustig-Prean, a former naval Lieutenant-Commander. 

Stonewall is backing all three cases, providing advice and
assistance to lawyers and help with press and publicity to ensure
a high profile for the issue. With a  fourth application by John
Beckett, ex Royal Navy, all the cases are listed for hearing on
15 May.

Judicial reviews take place in the High Court.  They are a means
of challenging public policies and procedures which are
irrational or unfair.  David Pannick QC will argue that the ban
is both perverse and irrational, in what may be the first step on
the way to the European Court.

MPs are also lining up to oppose the ban in Parliament.  Members
of the Stonewall Parliamentary Network met with Stonewall and
Rank Outsiders to map out a new offensive in the House of Commons
parallel to the legal challenge.  In June the Armed Forces
Discipline Acts will be debated.  MPs will take this opportunity
to expose the continuing use of criminal investigations and to
call for a new code of sexual conduct which would apply to
everyone in the armed forces regardless of their sexuality.

MPs ASKED TO "COME OUT FOR EQUALITY"
------------------------------------
Ask your MP to march with you on Pride

Stonewall has written to 280 MPs asking them to "come out for
equality" and march with us on Pride.  We don~t care what their
sexuality is but we feel that Pride offers an ideal opportunity
for MPs to come out and demonstrate their support for lesbian and
gay equality.  We got the idea from Feed them to the Cannibals
the film about Mardi Gras, which showed a contingent of
Australian politicians marching to show their solidarity.  We
also heard that a senior politician, held up in traffic in
central London during last year's march, was amazed to see how
many of us there were!  And we thought, why not get a group of
MPs to come and join in?

It might also persuade the media to stop ignoring the biggest
march of the year.

Now we would like you to help, especially if your MP is
supportive, by writing and extending your personal invitation to
your MP to join you - and us - on Pride.  Please let us know if
you get an acceptance because it would help to know in advance
who is coming.

A WIDER ISSUE
-------------

The Armed Forces legal challenge is about more than just
"fighting for the right to fight".  Many in the lesbian and gay
community are unhappy about appearing to support the use of
military force by arguing for the ban to be dropped.

The Armed Forces are the only place left in Britain where it is
completely illegal to be gay, whatever your age or sex.  The law
does not just allow discrimination - it actually requires it.

If Jeanette and the others win their cases, then the Armed Forces
will have to invent anti-discrimination rules for lesbians and
gays.  It is then easy for the rest of us to say, "Well if they
can have the support of the law, why can't we?".  This really is
part of a larger fight. 

The lawyers working with Stonewall and Rank Outsiders need more
information about men and women who have lost their jobs because
of the ban.  If you were in the Armed Forces please contact
Stonewall for a confidential questionnaire.

With everybody's support Jeanette can win - but the law is
expensive.

If you are able to support this campaign financially, please do. 
Please make a contribution to the Victory Fund or join as a
Friend and become part of this historic campaign for equality.

Edmund Hall

FROM THE DIRECTOR'S DESK
------------------------

The right to live with the person of your choice is surely one of
the most basic  human freedoms.  The new pamphlet produced by our
Immigration Group is a powerful and reasoned case for the
recognition of lesbian and gay partnerships.  Although the
numbers affected may be small, the issues of principle affect us
all.  Those who are challenging the ban on homosexuality in the
armed forces are also in a minority, but their fight against
institutional discrimination is part of the campaign for
legislation that would protect us all from discrimination.  

Please send letters of support to Jeanette, Duncan, Graeme and
John and contribute to our victory fund which will help pay for
the costs of the cases.  The government also need to know the
strength of feeling on this issue so please also write to Hon.
Nicholas Soames MP, the Minister of State for the Armed Forces,
Whitehall London SW1.

The legal cases now taking place, like the campaign for a change
in immigration policy, would not have been possible without the
work of groups like Rank Outsiders and the Immigration Group.  It
is when lesbians and gay men come together and organise that
profound change is possible.  For this reason I welcome the new
groups starting up reported in the newsletter.  Their work will
continue to help shift public opinion and build a coalition of
support for full civil rights.

But the advances we are making should not blind us to the
hostility and bigotry that still exist.  That is why initiatives
like the UN Year for Tolerance are important and why all those
involved need to understand that the intolerance, abuse and
threats against lesbians and gay men must be resisted and
challenged.  For this reason I hope there will be a united
protest against the decision of NHS psychotherapists to invite
Professor Charles Socarides, the notorious anti-gay psychiatrist,
to speak at their annual conference.  They would not have invited
a racist because, at least formally, racism is no longer
respectable in our society.  Homophobia should be equally
unacceptable in public life.

And a last word on outing.  It does cause divisions, but what
unites us all is much greater.  I sincerely believe that we can
all work together in the larger battle for civil rights.  It will
involve confrontation and education, campaigning & lobbying.  But
above all it will require the involvement of all lesbians, gay
men and bisexuals. 

Angela Mason

FEEDBACK
----------
Your views

Discrimination at Viva!

I recently made inquiries to join a health club, Viva! in
Bristol.  When I asked if my partner and I could join as a
couple, I was told they did not accept same-sex couples.  Such an
option is available to unmarried heterosexual couples and
represents financial benefits within membership fees.  I wrote to
the manager expressing my disappointment at such a discriminatory
policy.  He responded; "This is not discriminatory, it is quite
simply a control issue." If joint membership was given to
same-sex couples, they felt, their membership enrolment would be
"complex in the extreme." He says that it would be difficult for
same-sex couples to prove the legitimacy of their relationship. 
It seems, however, unmarried heterosexual couples are entitled to
joint membership simply if they live at the same address.  I have
cancelled my membership.   We as individuals may not be able to
change discriminatory practices but by boycotting companies like
Viva! we can at least not allow ourselves to become supporters of
discrimination.

Jane in Bristol

Oops!  Sorry SheBoom

Received my January newsletter and was delighted to see a picture
of SheBoom, but horrified to see us billed as coming from 
Edinburgh.  This insult is akin to calling us "Baby-eating
SheBoom" or that we kick old ladies we pass in the street.  Can
the editor of the newsletter ensure that our Glaswegian heritage
is properly  represented?  People up here are very conscious that
Londoners  think it's all the same once you get north of the
border - please don't prove them right!

Dill Ditton, SheBoom

Thanks for your help

I called to tell you about a problem I had at work.  I won a
prize for being the best saleswoman, the prize being a holiday
for two in Mexico but they refused to send me and my girl-friend. 
You gave me lots of advice on how to take the matter up with my
employers, including writing to them and getting my straight
colleagues to complain as well.  Result - my employers now have a
new policy on same sex couples - and me and my girlfriend are off
to Mexico!  Many thanks - we'll send a postcard!

Vivian, London

LOBBYING UPDATE
---------------

Sexual Orientation Discrimination (SOD) Bill

We plan to get the Sexual Orientation Bill tabled in May and will
be meeting supportive members of the House of Lords as we go to
press to discuss a timetable for the Bill.

Meanwhile your letters to the Dept of Employment are having an
effect.  Civil servants are hurriedly trying to get to grips with
the issue of sexuality discrimination, and we are now seeking a
meeting with Department officials.  More and more MPs are
pledging their support.  The standard reply being sent out by the
Department of Employment is completely inadequate.  Write back
pointing out that the Employment Protection (Consolidation) Act
l978 only protects those with two years service whereas claims
under sex and race discrimination legislation are not dependent
on length of service.  

Employers too are taking notice.  Angela Mason was invited to
speak at two high level seminars organised by the Equal
Opportunities Group of Organisation Resources Counsellors with
human resource managers from a number of leading private sector
employers.

Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill

This is a private members Bill introduced by Lord Hylton which
will make it an offence in the UK to commit a sexual offence
under British law in another country where it also constitutes an
offence.  It is designed to prevent child prostitution but we are
worried that it will be used to target gay men going abroad.  The
government have not so far supported  the Bill, but be prepared
to lobby if it does get government time in the Commons.  

Domestic Violence Bill

We have made a submission to the special House of Lords Committee
which has been looking at the Bill.  Along with the Law Society
and the Metropolitan Police, we called for clarification of the
scope of the Bill in relation to lesbian and gay couples.  The
Bill makes it possible for those who "live or have lived in the
same household, otherwise than merely by reason of one of them
being the other's employee, tenant, lodger or boarder" to apply
for a non-molestation order, but for the avoidance of doubt we
would like explicit confirmation that this should apply to
same-sex partners.  

At the time of going to press the Bill was entering its final
stages in the House of Lords before moving on to the House of
Commons.

Law Reform (Succession) Bill

This Bill would amend the Inheritance (Provision for Family and
Dependants) Act l975 which allows a person to apply for financial
provision from the estate of their deceased spouse.  The Bill 
would allow unmarried heterosexual partners to apply.  Our
amendment would extend this to allow any person who has been
living with the deceased for the previous two years to make an
application.  THT have providing some powerful case histories and
we hope this amendment will receive wide support.  As we went to
press the Bill was being considered by a committee of the whole
House of Lords.

NEWS IN BRIEF
-------------

Immigration booklet launch

The Stonewall Immigration Group have produced a booklet,
Compelling Circumstances.  The booklet argues the case for equal
treatment of same-sex couples in applying immigration laws and
rules.  15,000 copies of the booklet  have been printed and will
be circulated over the next few months.  It was recently launched
at the House of Commons by an all-party group of MPs.

Remember them

The World Congress of Jewish Gay & Lesbian Organisations and 
Stonewall are mounting a seminar programme (Sept 9-10) examining
the impact of this period of Nazi history on lesbians and gays.
The programme has the backing of the Weiner Library and promises
to offer a much needed opportunity to educate ourselves and the
wider community about this often overlooked aspect of Nazi
ideology. 

Liverpool launch

In April Liverpool City Council launched their new Equal
Opportunities Policy which includes a strong commitment to
lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.  Angela  Mason, together with
representatives from black, women's, and disabled organisations
and the Leader of the Council, spoke to a packed meeting of over
300 people.  The event marked a new commitment by a Council that
has been strongly criticised in the past for its opposition to
equal opportunities. 

Telford Youth Group

Thank you to all our supporters who wrote to Shropshire County
Council.  The Council have now decided to reinstate funding to
the Telford Lesbian & Gay Youth Group.  Congratulations. 

WORK IT OUT: CAMPAIGNS & CONFERENCES
------------------------------------

More prejudice

Letter writing target: National Health Service psychotherapists
have invited Charles Socarides, the notorious anti-gay American
psychiatrist who led the opposition to the American Psychiatrists
Association removing homosexuality as a mental disease from their
books to speak at their annual general meeting on Friday, April
28.  Please write to Dr Rob Hale, APPP Chair, c/o The Portman
Clinic, 8 Fitzjohns Avenue NW3 5NA asking them to disassociate
themselves from Socarides and deploring their decision to give
him a platform.

[Note: the invitation was withdrawn at the last minute.]

Pensions campaign group

Many supporters responded to our call to set up a Stonewall
Pensions Group.  The Group will be launched at a meeting on 3 May
at 7pm at our office.  Its first task will be lobbying for an
amendment to the Pensions Bill which now in the House of Commons. 
The group has prepared a briefing which has gone out to
sympathetic MPs and an amendment to the Bill has been drafted.

As with all campaigns, personal stories help.  If your pension
scheme discriminates against you let your MP know and please send
a copy of any correspondence to the pension group. For
information contact Brian Hagan or Louis Letourneau c/o
Stonewall.

Banking group

There are thousands of lesbians and gay men in banking, but not
more than double numbers who are out.  As the banks start
thinking about their equal opportunities policies now is a good
time to meet and organise.  If you work in banking come to the
first meeting will take place on 1 May, 7pm at Stonewall. 
Contact David Charles via Stonewall for details.

[Note: for reasons beyond our control, this meeting had to be
postponed.  Please let us know if you are interested, and we will
inform you of future meetings.]

PREJUDICE AND PRIDE
-------------------

It was only in 1973 that homosexuality was removed from
psychiatric definitions of mental illness and some
psychiatrists, psychoanalysts and counsellors still regard
homosexuality as pathological to this day.  The idea that people
who defy the sexual norm are "in need of help" runs deep in
public consciousness: we still hear of lesbians and gay men who
come out to their family or friends only to be told that "you
should see a psychiatrist".

This has left a legacy of problems for lesbians and gay men who
do experience mental distress.  Many users of psychiatric
services - and indeed staff in the services - dare not come out. 
If they do, they may find their sexuality is seen as an integral
part of their problem; or that conforming to heterosexual norms
(wearing make-up or not wearing make-up, depending on your
gender!) is seen as a sign of successful rehabilitation.

Despite all these problems, change has begun.  In some areas
mental health service users have developed ways of supporting
each other without accepting a pathological model of their
sexuality; and mental health workers are developing both specific
lesbian and gay approaches to counselling and models of good
practice within mainstream psychiatric services.

On June 21 MIND, in collaboration with Stonewall and UNISON, is
holding a conference to debate these issues; to explore ways of
spreading good practice; and to identify campaigning strategies
to make the mental health services more appropriate to lesbian,
gay and bisexual people.  Details of the conference - Prejudice
and Pride - from the MIND Conference Unit, Granta House, 15
Stratford Broadway, London E15 4BQ, tel 0181 519 2122.

Liz Sayce, Policy Director, MIND

CALLING CHARITY AND CAMPAIGN WORKERS
-------------------------------------

Is life really a bed of roses in the voluntary sector?  After 9
years of working in a variety of voluntary organisations, I
remain committed to being a part of a sector which has
creativity, diversity and social justice at the heart of its
ethos.  With this backdrop, we would expect a fairly easy time
for lesbians and gay men working for voluntary organisations -
not to mention those on the receiving end of our services.

But how "out and proud" are we really able to be?  Do we have
confidence that we are more than two words in an equal
opportunities statement gathering dust on a shelf?  Do we feel
safe to be open about our relationships and the issues that
concern us in the workplace?  Are voluntary organisations
speaking to and reaching lesbian and gay people in their
publicity, membership, activities and services?

Is it possible to create a cross-voluntary organisation for
lesbian, gay and bisexual workers in the sector?

If you are interested in talking about these issues and are
working for a voluntary organisation, please write to me c/o
Stonewall, and/or come along to an informal meeting at 7.30pm on
Wednesday 14 June at London Voluntary Service Council, 356
Holloway Road, London, N7.

Sally Knocker

SHORT WORK
----------

Campaign for free travel

As we went to press it was still not clear whether British Rail
or European Passenger Services will extend travel benefits to
same-sex partners.  Both have agreed to consider the issue and BR
are due to announce their decision by early May. 

If the response is negative, Stonewall will be holding a meeting
after receiving a number of complaints from people working for BR
and EPS, which runs the Eurostar service to Paris and Brussels. 
The meeting will take place on Sunday 14 May at the Stonewall
office at 1pm.

Free advice at LAGER

Lesbian and Gay Employment Rights (LAGER) has appointed a worker
specifically to advise and represent lesbians and gay men before
industrial tribunals.  

Legal Aid for representation, as opposed to advice, is not
available for industrial tribunals, so the new service will be
very helpful to those who can't afford to pay for a solicitor.  
The new worker is Dai Harris who previously worked at the
Terrence Higgins Trust.

LAGER can be contacted on 0171 704 6066 or 8066.

Dismissal case upheld

A gay caretaker who was bullied because of his sexuality has won
his case for unfair dismissal.  Martyn Farr resigned from the 300
year old Perse School in Cambridge because of bullying by other
staff, in particular his boss.  

The case is significant because it is the first time that
harassment on the grounds of sexuality has been held to be unfair
dismissal.  The case does not establish a precedent but could be
influential.

THE PROBLEM WITH OUTING
-----------------------

Our main concerns about outing were put in an article in The
Guardian (15.3.95).  We set out below some of the key points
although, as you would expect, there is a range of opinion in
Stonewall on all these issues.

Outing has often divided the gay community.  In Germany at the
turn of the century homosexual activists called it "the path over
dead bodies".  It led to court cases, libel suits, splits in the
movement and mass media coverage!

But outing is likely to be with us as long as lesbians and gay
men in high places feel compelled to hide their sexuality to
avoid discrimination.

Nobody likes hypocrites.  Lesbians and gay men who are out feel a
particular anger towards those who stay safe in the closet and
condone discrimination.

But who is to decide who is "guilty" of hypocrisy and on what
basis?  Is everyone who is not for us against us?  Is everyone
either "straight" or "gay"?  What is the point of punishing
lesbians and gays in Parliament and the Church while the
heterosexual homophobes go unchallenged?

How effective is outing as a political strategy?  Outing does get
massive publicity, but does it change people's minds?  It has
made homosexuality a high profile issue in the Church of England,
but there are real dangers of a backlash.  Homosexuality could be
politicised in a way that will make it harder, not easier, to
have open and informed discussion and to win support for gay
clergy.

Whatever one's views on outing it is clearly vital that there is
space for this discussion to proceed in the Church of England. 
We believe that our case will be best made by those lesbian and
gay clergy who have themselves decided to come out.  Coming out
when we decide it is right for us is still the most potent force
for change.

Lesbians and gay men are only a small percentage of the
population.  Outing does show that we are everywhere in all walks
of life, but to win real changes we have to convince the
heterosexual majority and we can't use outing against them.  But
we do have powerful and compelling arguments.  How can the Church
of England recognise that homosexuality is part of human nature
yet deny the expression of that nature?  That, as Derek Rawcliffe
has said, implies a cruel God.  Convincing people, winning hearts
and minds takes longer, but is will achieve lasting change. 
There are no short cuts to liberty. 

SOUTH AFRICAN SOLIDARITY
------------------------
 
Ian McKellen recently returned from South Africa where he toured 
his one man show raising money for the National Coalition for
Lesbian and Gay Equality. A highlight of the tour was meeting
President Mandela with Phumzile Mtetwa and Simon Nkoli of the
National Coalition.  President Mandela confirmed his commitment
to equal rights for all South Africans.  Ian spoke of his
experiences at a meeting organised by Stonewall in March.  The
meeting was also addressed by Peter Tatchell who worked with
Simon Nkoli and others to raise the issue of gay rights in the
ANC.

Digital Diversity

Digital Diversity is a new group for lesbians, gays and bisexuals
who are interested in computer technology.  They meet on the
second Sunday of every month at The Empire pub, New Turnstile,
London WC1 between noon and 3pm.  Talks are organised between 1pm
and 2pm.  Entry is 1 for guests and free for members.  Newcomers
and people wanting advice on what computer equipment to buy are
welcome.  

Voluntary organisations needing help with their computers may
find the group is a good place to look for suitably skilled
volunteers!  The group also publishes a quarterly newsletter and
is developing a series of on-line mailing lists.  For further
details and an application form please write to Digital
Diversity, Room 33, PO Box 1155, London SW2 1EE.

Surveys update

The corporate survey is now in its final stage.  We decided to do
a follow-up survey of those companies who do provide partners'
benefits to find out which benefits they provide - and which they
don't.  This has delayed the report by a couple of months but it
will be ready soon.  We have just recruited a team of volunteers
to help with follow-up interviews for the violence survey which
we hope to publish this July.

Placement opportunity

Are you a student looking for a placement for your year out?  If
you can commit yourself for a full academic year for at least 3
days a week, we would like to hear from you.  

It would be an ideal opportunity for anyone looking to gain some
experience in campaigning or practical research skills.  For more
information please contact Emma Peskin or Anya Palmer at
Stonewall.  

WILD WOMEN UP WEST
------------------

On Friday 12th May at the Duke of York's Theatre Stonewall will
be celebrating the talents of Britain's women performers in a
specially devised show "Women Up West".

Following the success of last year's "For Women" at the
Bloomsbury Theatre, Stonewall is proud to announce an evening
which promises once again to be full of music, mirth, merriment
and magic.

The line-up includes, from the world of comedy and BBC2's Sunday
Show Donna McPhail, and Britain's popular out lesbian comic Maria
Esposito.  Also performing will be, the "likeable and brassy"
Maria Falzone from Boston.  Providing music with sharp lyrics and
a powerful voice, Julia Tipton.  

The show will also include those sisters who get everyone's feet
tapping, the Well Oiled Sisters.  The evening will be hosted by
Sandi Toksvig, star of last year's Stonewall Equality Show, and
Hufty from "The Word".  Some surprise guests are planned to
complete the evening.  Tickets are 12.50 and 10.50 and are on
sale at the Duke of Yorks Theatre, St. Martin's Lane, London WC2N
4BG.  Telephone 0171 836 5122. 

STONEWALL LAUNCHES PARENTING GROUP
----------------------------------

Shopping in Mothercare may not be the "queer" edge of sexual
politics, but lesbian and gay parenting is still a highly
contested issue.  Yet there are very few groups where general
issues about parenting can be discussed.  From the many letters
we receive from parents and would-be parents, we felt there was a
case for bringing together parents and supportive professionals
to begin a process of liaison, education and campaigning.  Our
first meeting enthusiastically welcomed the idea.

Lesbian mothers have not traditionally worked with gay fathers,
and parents have often been opposed by lawyers, doctors and
psychiatrists, but lots of ideas emerged including training
sessions for High Court judges, more child-centred community
activities, a newsletter and possibly a conference in the autumn. 
The next meeting is on 3 May at the Stonewall office at 7.30pm. 
If you would like to be involved, please contact Gill Butler c/o
Stonewall.

COMINGS AND GOINGS
------------------

Six new people have been appointed to the Stonewall Group,
Stonewall's ruling council which meets quarterly.  They are:

*  Louise Ansari, Head of Campaigns at the Commission for Racial
   Equality;

*  Edmund Hall, author of We Can't Even March Straight and member
   of Rank Outsiders;

*  Anne Lawrence, from Birmingham, lesbian grandmother and
   co-chair of the lesbian and gay support organisation National
   Friend;

*  Equal opportunities consultant Gerard Lemos;

*  John Miskelly, Businessman and recruitment consultant;

*  Lucy Scher, from Manchester, co-founder of mixed club night
   Flesh.
 
Meanwhile the staff team said goodbye to Jim Kilkenny, office
volunteer extraordinaire and stalwart of Stonewall's campaigning
for the past 4 years.  Jim intends to take a couple of months off
but after that he is thinking of setting up an organisation for
older lesbians and gay men.  If you are interested, you can
contact him through the office.

SUPPORTER UPDATE
----------------

3,000 join as Friends 

In April our Friends Scheme reached 3,000 members. Thank you to
all those who have joined. We are especially grateful to those
(nearly half) who contribute by standing order.  This gives us
the security to plan our future campaigns.

This year we are aiming for a membership of 5,000.  We rely
financially on our supporters, but more than that, only 
with these kinds of numbers can we have the political influence
to reach MPs and opinion formers in every constituency.

We hope you will play a role in helping us to achieve this:

*  If you are already a supporter make a commitment today to
   encourage a friend to join.

*  Pass this newsletter on to a friend and ask them if they would
   like to be a supporter.  If you need more copies, let us know.
 
*  Don't forget to renew your subscription!  You should have a
   reminder letter with this newsletter if it's due.

*  If you want to know more about our campaigns and would like a
   Stonewall speaker to address a meeting, please let us know. 

Together we can push forward the battle for legal equality and
social justice for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.

STONEWALL
---------
Working for lesbian and gay equality

2 Greycoat Place
London SW1P 1SB
Tel 0171 222 9007
Fax 0171 222 0525
Email [email-masked]

STONEWALL STAFF

Angela Mason
Executive Director

Anya Palmer
Deputy Director

Emma Peskin
Research Assistant

Terry Harding
Fundraising and Development

Mig Kimpton
Events Producer

Suad El-Amin
Office Manager

Mark Roche
Administrator

Mark Watson
Immigration Volunteer

STONEWALL BOARD

Gill Butler
Michael Cashman, Chair
Andy Elvers
Lee Marshall, Treasurer
Rebecca Rendle
Dr Peter Rivas
Elaine Willis, Vice Chair

STONEWALL GROUP

Board members, plus:

Louise Ansari
Marc Burke
Cordelia Ditton
Andy Elvers
Simon Fanshawe
Edmund Hall
Ceri Hutton
Anne Lawrence
Sir Ian McKellen
John Miskelly
Lucy Scher

WHY I SUPPORT STONEWALL
-----------------------

I have received piles of letters since my interview on Newsnight
- some of them very hurtful, but at least 90% supportive of what
I have done.  Of course, a lot of these came from gay men and
women and especially from gay clergy, but I have also received
many letters from straight people, including clergy, applauding
my action.  I have also been sent letters by the parents of gay
sons and daughters.  One, which encapsulates the despair which
many young gay men and lesbians feel and also the tone of many of
the letters which I have received, I will quote:

   "Just a line to say thank you for what you have done for my
   son, and many others like him.  Admitting one's sexuality
   openly and honestly seems to be the only way to convince
   society that people like him are not freaks, and you have
   championed the cause of many frightened and vulnerable members
   of our society."

I wept over that one, for sorrow and anger at what her son and so
many of us have had to bear, and for joy that I might have helped
a little to change things.  If only to get a letter like that, it
has been worth it.

But we have a long way to go before we gain equality for gay
people in society and acceptance of gay clergy by the Church. 
The struggle must continue, and must grow. Stonewall is the
foremost organisation campaigning in this field and it merits our
support, so that the goal of acceptance for everyone, whatever
their race, colour, sex or sexual orientation may be achieved.  I
hope you too will support Stonewall's work by becoming a Friend.

Rt Revd Derek Rawcliffe

The Rt Revd Derek Rawcliffe is an Anglican Bishop in the diocese
of Ripon who recently came out on BBC Newsnight.