Subject: Fwd: Stonewall Democrats: Republicans unite to approve anti-gay amendments
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:46:49 EDT

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Stonewall Democrats: Republicans unite to approve anti-gay amendments
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:48:47 EDT

news release
from the	
NATIONAL STONEWALL DEMOCRATIC FEDERATION

Post Office Box 77165
Washington, D.C. 20013

For immediate release
Contact: Daniel McGlinchey 202-265-3775

August 7, 1998

	REPUBLICANS UNITE TO UPHOLD TWO ANTI-GAY AMENDMENTS 

	After major success for gay and lesbian rights, 
	Republicans propel two anti-gay amendments through House 

One day after a significant victory in the fight for gay and lesbian rights,
House Democrats found themselves outgunned.  Undaunted by the defeat of the
recent Hefley amendment, which sought to overturn President Clinton's
executive order protecting gay men and lesbians in the federal civilian
workforce, Republicans joined forces to attach two anti-gay amendments to the
District of Columbia Appropriations bill.  

Rep. Steve Largent (R-Okla.) offered an amendment to prohibit joint adoptions
in the District of Columbia by people who are not related by marriage or
blood.  And Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) pushed a measure to prohibit federal and
local funds from being spent on any local needle exchange program.  The anti-
gay adoption measure passed the House 227-192, and the anti-needle exchange
provision passed 250-169.   

The Democrats once again delivered overwhelming opposition to both measures.
But when a vast majority of Republicans voted in favor of the amendments, it
became clear that the bipartisanship that thwarted the anti-gay Hefley measure
was gone.

Daniel McGlinchey, interim executive director of the National Stonewall
Democratic Federation, noted that it was especially disappointing to have such
a serious set back so quickly on the heels of success, and he acknowledged
that the Republican-led Congress is once again moving us in the wrong
direction.  "It was two steps back last week with terrible defeats on AIDS
housing and domestic partnership," said McGlinchey, "then one key step forward
with our success at protecting gay and lesbian federal civilian workers, and
now two steps back.  We're way behind.  This is the wrong Congress for those
seeking full fairness for gay and lesbian Americans."

Roger Lee, political consultant and vice-chair of the National Stonewall
Democratic Federation, said, "Every anti-gay amendment that came before
Congress over recent weeks was sponsored by a Republican, and many were
actively supported by the Republican leadership, and in each case, a rock
solid majority of Democrats opposed the attacks.  The answer is simple - if
we're going to fully vindicate our rights, we need more Democrats, and
specifically a Democratic leadership, in Congress."  

The National Stonewall Democratic Federation is a newly formed national
organization of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Democrats committed to
fighting homophobia, improving the record of the Democratic party on gay and
lesbian issues, and educating voters about the vast differences that exist
between the two major parties on issues of importance to our community.

# # # # # # #

--part0_902508411_boundary--