Subject: PFLAG Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 16:03:41 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JANUARY 17, 1997

CONTACT:  Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
                    Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
                     202/638-4200

PFLAG LOOKS BACK ON 1996 AS YEAR OF EXPANSION AND SUCCESS

        In 1996, the members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians
and Gays (PFLAG) moved forward in their mission of support, education and
advocacy. The organization launched a membership development project,
expanded its avenues for community outreach, and encouraged members to
speak out in support of their gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
loved ones.  Additionally, Nancy McDonald, from Tulsa, Okla., was elected
the new national president of PFLAG, replacing retiring president, Mitzi
Henderson.

PFLAG is supporting more members than ever before.

*       In 1996, more than 12,000 people joined the organization, and more
than 25 new chapters were formed.
*       In 1996, PFLAG disseminated more than 100,000 pieces of requested
information and publications.
*       PFLAG's 15th annual conference provided skills building tools to
more than 1,000 people, making it the largest conference in PFLAG's
history.

PFLAG members continue to find innovative ways to educate in their communities.

*       PFLAG's national education campaign, Project Open Mind, which
focuses on the effect of hate speech on anti-gay hate crimes, launched in
Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis.
*       In June, PFLAG premiered its national web site
(http://www.pflag.org). Visitors to the site can now find contact
information for PFLAG chapters, PFLAG mentions in the press, information
about PFLAG's organizational structure, and catalogue lists of PFLAG
products.
*       Many PFLAG chapters took part in pride parades, organized AIDS
Awareness activities, and set up informational booths at community fairs
and festivals.

Locally and nationally, PFLAG members continue to advocate for equal
treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people, their family
members and friends.

*       In addition to local outreach efforts, PFLAG members participated
in two organized trips to Washington, D.C., to lobby their congressional
representatives about issues of concern to gay, lesbian and bisexual
people, and their family members and friends.
*       PFLAG members testified before local legislatures in support of
ending employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and in
opposition to anti-same-gender marriage bills. Current PFLAG President
Nancy McDonald, and past president Mitzi Henderson testified before
subcommittees of both houses of Congress in opposition to the federal
Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*==*

Julie Gedden
Director of National Operations
  PFLAG
  202.638.4200 x215
  202.898.0562 fax
  [email-masked]
  http://www.pflag.org
  AOL: Keyword: PFLAG