Subject: PFLAG Members Salute Ellen DeGeneres
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:13:53 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
APRIL 8, 1997

CONTACT:
Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
202-638-4200

PFLAG MEMBERS SALUTE ELLEN DEGENERES
Prepare for Ellen Screening Parties

        The members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
(PFLAG), many of whom are busy planning Ellen screening parties, salute
Ellen DeGeneres for her courage in coming out as a lesbian on the cover of
Time magazine.
        "Coming out can be a difficult process for anyone," said PFLAG
National President Nancy McDonald, whose daughter came out to her ten years
ago.  "To have a major television celebrity proudly make such an
announcement on the cover of a mainstream, weekly news magazine is amazing.
Her courage is an inspiration for thousands of youth who are coming to
terms with their sexuality."

        As they celebrate Ellen DeGeneres' public statement, PFLAG members
are preparing for the coming out of the TV character, Ellen Morgan.
Looking forward to finally having their families represented during prime
time, members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
across the country plan to host screenings of the April 30th "coming out"
episode of the popular sitcom Ellen. Screening hosts hope to use this
popular culture event not only as a chance to celebrate, but also as an
opportunity to reach out to other straight Americans and destroy the myths
and misperceptions about gay, lesbian and bisexual people.
        "Too often, our society is too quick to stereotype gay people,"
said PFLAG National President Nancy McDonald.  "This is not surprising,
since most of us have no acess to accurate information about homosexuality.
Now, however, we can sit down with our neighbors and talk about a
television character whose clever wit and hysterical antics we have all
grown to love.  And we can discuss what it means when this character many
of us adopt into our families once a week comes out as a lesbian.  This is
an incredible opportunity for PFLAG members to broach a sensitive topic in
a way that can make others feel comfortable."

        The PFLAG press department will  release a list of chapters holding
Ellen screening parties later this month.

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their
families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in more than 400 communities nationwide, with more than 68,000
household members.

                                                               ###