Subject: Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 17:03:35 -0400

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS
1101 14TH STREET NW SUITE 1030
WASHINGTON, DC  20005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
May 10, 1996
Contact:  Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
   Zoe Hudson, Public Policy and Education Manager
   202-638-4200

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
 Responds to Congressional Hearings Scheduled 
for Federal Anti-Marriage Bill

Congressional Hearings on the "Defense of Marriage Act," HR 3396, will be
held on Wednesday, May 15, 1996 by the Constitution Subcommittee of the House
Judiciary Committee.

Following is a statement by PFLAG President Mitzi Henderson on HR 3396:

 "HR 3396 is a shameless political attack on our lesbian, gay and bisexual
children, siblings and friends.    The bill proposes federally-sanctioned
inequality within American families: our non-gay children can take part in
the rights and responsibilities of civil marriage, and our gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered children are denied legal recognition for their
families.

 "Marriage is a basic human right.  The decision of whom to marry is a deeply
personal one that should not be interfered with by the Federal government.
 We ask that the Federal government step aside and let local communities
continue to discuss same-sex marriage with the careful thought and
deliberation that it deserves.

 "The bill exploits, on an national level, fear and misunderstanding about
lesbian, gay and bisexual people, and incites panic by implying that states
might soon have to recognize same-gender marriage. 

 "This is just not so.   Currently same-sex marriages are not recognized by
any state in the country.  The Hawaii decision to recognize same-sex
marriages, if favorable, will most certainly be appealed by the state.  It
could take as many as two years until a final decision is handed down by the
Hawaii Supreme Court.   

 "This federal bill is evidence that religious political extremists are using
anti gay sentiments for their own political gain.  This tactic is
particularly disturbing because we know that anti-gay rhetoric creates a
climate where it is unsafe to be gay or lesbian in America.

 "PFLAG remains firmly committed to educating Americans with the truth about
our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered family members and friends.   We
will continue to dispel hateful and divisive myths about gay Americans, so
that all Americans can be safe in their communities."
                                                                   ###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to
enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to
secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue about
sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving more than 56,000 families, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 390 communities worldwide.