Subject: Amendment 2 Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 15:36:49 -0400

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS (PFLAG)
1101 14th Street NW Suite 1030
Washington, D.C.  20009
202-638-4200
EMAIL: [email-masked]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MAY 20, 1996
CONTACT: ROB BANASZAK, COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
  202-638-4200

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS (PFLAG) PRESIDENT MITZI
HENDERSON ISSUES STATEMENT ABOUT SUPREME COURT RULING ON COLORADO'S AMENDMENT
2

We are pleased that the Supreme Court has affirmed equal access to our
nation's political process for all Americans, including our lesbian, gay and
bisexual family members and friends.  

American families with lesbian or gay members remain "houses divided."  Some
of us in our families enjoy equal opportunities and rights, and some continue
to be discriminated against.    But the Court has determined that the civil
rights of a minority will not be held hostage by the prejudices of a
majority.    Gay and straight Americans will have equal access to the
democratic process.  While true equal rights still do not exist for lesbian,
gay and bisexual Americans, this decision affirms their and their straight
family members' and friends' right to continue the fight to secure those
rights.      

The prejudice and bigotry of the majority towards lesbian, gay and bisexual
Americans will be eliminated only through education.  PFLAG will continue to
fight the lies and myths perpetuated about our lesbian, gay and bisexual
family members and friends.  We will continue to tell the truth about who
they -- and we -- are.    We will continue to expose the violent, often
tragic consequences of hate speech, and the toll it takes on our entire
society. 

And we will look forward to the day when the majority of Americans will
recognize the true worth of our lesbian, gay and bisexual family members and
friends, and will find any form of legal discrimination against them
unconscionable.  

                                                                          ###