Subject: Mangione Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 11:36:23 -0500

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS

January 18, 1996
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:: Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind Campaign Manager
  202/638-4200
  Email: [email-masked]

HOSTILE CLIMATE FOR GAY AMERICANS LED TO RECENT HOUSTON
 GAY BASHING MURDER OF FRED MANGIONE,
PFLAG PRESIDENT MITZI HENDERSON SAYS

 "The recent murder of Fred Mangione in Houston, TX is a devastating
illustration of the importance of Project Open Mind's focus on anti-gay hate
speech and violence, said PFLAG president Mitzi Henderson.  Parents, Families
and Friends of Lesbians and Gays is conducting this public education campaign
in Atlanta, Houston and Tulsa, that focuses on verbal and physical assaults
against our gay and lesbian family members and friends.

"What a tragic irony that this murder happened in Houston, one of the pilot
cities for Project Open Mind," said Henderson.  "Groups like the German Peace
Corps, to which the two alleged killers belong, find fuel for their violence
in the pervasive anti-gay rhetoric of some prominent political and religious
leaders."

"PFLAG will continue to challenge this hate speech and let America know how
we all are affected by a climate of intolerance.  Project Open Mind asks
fair-minded citizens to remain silent no longer.  We demand a society that is
safe for our gay, lesbian and bisexual family members.  

"We send our condolences to the family of Fred Mangione.  And we encourage
the continuing efforts of our PFLAG in Houston, who have lived through this
tragedy in the midst of their efforts to combat violence. We trust that their
work with other organizations and with Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee will
lead to a strong community response to this heinous crime.

Our deepest sympathies go to Fred's partner, Kenneth Stern, and to their
families and friends, for this senseless and shocking loss.

 ###