Subject: PFLAG Launches Web Site
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:18:03 -0400

For Immediate Release:
June 5, 1996
Contacts: Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
  [email-masked]
  Julie Gedden, Information Systems Manager
  [email-masked]
  202-638-4200

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) Launches Web Site

PFLAG is officially launching its area on the World Wide Web June 7, 1996.
 PFLAG's address on the Web is http://www.pflag.org.  
 
PFLAG's home page features a rainbow map of the United States that Web
browsers can click on to receive complete chapter information for any state
in the country as well as information about international affiliates.   Other
areas on the site include:
* How PFLAG Works, a complete overview of the organization's mission,
structure and leadership. 
* Join PFLAG, a description of benefits of membership as both a chapter
member and an at-large national member.  Included in this area is information
on how to join PFLAG as a chapter or at-large member.
* Press and Policy, the latest press releases issued by PFLAG; recent press
clippings featuring PFLAG members or about PFLAG around the country; letters
to the editor and op-eds written by PFLAG members and published in
periodicals around the country; information about PFLAG's activities around
current issues and events affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered
people and their family members and friends; and PFLAG's organizational
policy statements.
* PFLAG Spotlight, a monthly-updated highlight of the work and activities of
a selected PFLAG chapter in the field, as well as information about timely
local and national events like PFLAG's annual conference, PFLAG's Family to
Family helpline, and more.
* Project Open Mind, information and the latest updates on PFLAG's most
ambitious public education campaign to date, as well as data and statistics
on hate crimes and teen suicide, two often tragic results of hate speech
targeted at lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans.  
* PFLAG Store, information about PFLAG support and education publications, as
well as other PFLAG merchandise like pens, notepads, t-shirts and more.

According to PFLAG Information Systems Manager Julie Gedden, the Web site was
designed entirely in-house, with the help of some dedicated PFLAG volunteers.
  "Our Web site is the product of an excellent working partnership of staff
and volunteer resources," said Gedden.

PFLAG Executive Director Sandra Gillis said, "Our Web site is a powerful new
communications tool for PFLAG.  With the tremendous accessibility of the Web,
PFLAG can reach more people than ever with our mission of support, education
and advocacy.  We can provide information to teens who may not be able to use
their parents' phone to make a call.  We can be a lifeline to those parents
or family members of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people who may
have no initial place to turn for truthful information about their loved one
and how family members and friends can create new and loving relationships
with them.

"With our new Web site we are also able to highlight the achievements and
accomplishments of our grassroots network, making the site a valuable
resource for PFLAG affiliates and members.   Affiliates, members and the
public worldwide will be able keep informed about PFLAG's activities
throughout the country, and they will have a forum for suggestions and
comments on how PFLAG can most effectively serve its membership and the
community at large."

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to
enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to
secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue about sexual
orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of
human diversity.  Serving more than 56,000 members, PFLAG affiliates are
located in more than 390 communities across the United States, and in 11
other countries.

                                          ###