Subject: Holiday Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:52:01 -0500

Dear PFLAG Member,

Attached is the latest press release issued from PFLAG's national office.
We feel that holiday stories are great opportunities for your chapter to
get publicity in the press. Additionally, if your chapter information can
get publicized in the press at this time of year, it provides another means
for people in your community to learn about your chapter and contact you.
Please feel free to adapt this press release to fit your chapter (put it on
your chapter letterhead, change the contact information to someone local,
add a local holiday PFLAG story at the end, include your chapter's helpline
phone number etc.) and send it to your local features editors for your
newspaper, assignment editors at your television stations, and news editors
and talk show producers for your local radio stations.

After faxing, e-mailing or mailing it out, call the people to whom you sent
it in order to make sure they got it, and to ask them personally to run a
PFLAG story during the holidays.  Even if a media outlet can't run a full
story, ask to have your chapter information included, emphasizing the
importance of this information during the holidays.

Good luck, and happy holidays to everyone!

_____________________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DECEMBER 17, 1996
CONTACT:  Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
          Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
          202/638-4200

AS FAMILIES REUNITE FOR THE HOLIDAYS, PFLAG MEMBERS PREPARED TO OFFER SUPPORT

        Organized in more than 400 chapters across the country, members of
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) are prepared to
offer support to people who have a family member or friend come out to them
during the holiday season.
        "The holidays are always busy times for PFLAG members," said PFLAG
President Nancy McDonald. "College students return home, people take
vacations, families eat dinner together. For many people, this presents an
opportunity to speak honestly about themselves and come out as gay,
lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. PFLAG helplines sometimes start ringing
before the turkey is even carved."
        Having a family member or friend come out can invoke many different
reactions. Some families may be easily accepting, some may struggle with
their religious beliefs, and some may need to rethink their conceptions of
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.
        "PFLAG members can listen to these reactions as people who have
'been there,'" McDonald said. "Callers tend to feel better knowing that the
person at the other end of the phone relates to their experience."
        Generally, PFLAG members ask people who have had a loved one come
out to them to keep in mind three things:

        1. You have received a gift of honesty. When someone makes a
decision to be open with you about something our society deems undesirable,
it takes a tremendous amount of courage, love and trust.
        2. Your family member or friend has not suddenly become a stranger.
While you may have to change some of the ways you think about your loved
one, he or she still has the same sense of humor, talents and personality
traits you have always admired.
        3. You are not alone. Studies indicate that one in four families
has an immediate family member who is gay, lesbian or bisexual, and most
families have at least one gay, lesbian or bisexual member in their
extended family circle. There may be a PFLAG member in your community who
has been through a similar experience, and would be happy to talk with you.

        PFLAG produces many educational publications, including: "Journey
to Gratitude," "Our Daughters and Sons: Questions and Answers for Parents
of Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual People," and "Be Yourself: Questions and
Answers for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth," that can provide additional
information for people looking to further their understanding of gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgendered issues.

        Helpline telephone numbers for chapters across the country, and in
several other countries, can be found by calling PFLAG's national office
(202-638-4200), accessing PFLAG's web site (http://www.pflag.org), or
looking up "PFLAG" in the local telephone book.

        PFLAG families who have had members come out during a holiday
season are available to speak with the press. To set up an interview,
contact Shelley Golden at 202/638-4200.

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, their
families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities in every state, with 65,000 household members.