Subject: PFLAG Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:07:46 -0500

For Immediate Release
March 20, 1996
Contact:  Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
   202-638-4200
   [email-masked]

Robert K. Goodwin Elected to Board of Directors of 
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Robert K. Goodwin, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Points of
Light Foundation, was elected to the national Board of Directors of Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) at the organizations
February board meeting.  Goodwin's term on PFLAG's board is effective
immediately.

Goodwin has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Points of
Light Foundation since July 1, 1995.  He joined the Foundation in March, 1992
as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.  In that position,
he managed every aspect of the Foundation's mission and operations.

Prior to joining the Foundation, goodwin was executive director of the U.S.
Department of Education's White House Initiative  on Historically Black
Colleges and Universities.  As executive director, he brought together
representatives from the Federal government, other institutions of higher
education and the private sector to formulate  and implement strategies for
strengthening the nation's black institutions of higher learning.

Earlier in his career, Goodwin was publisher of his family-owned weekly
newspaper, the Oklahoma Eagle.  While a student, he served as an associate
pastor of several churches in Oklahoma and California.

"I am enthusiastic about my appointment to PFLAG's national board," said
Goodwin.  "As a longtime advocate for social justice, I am proud to be part
of an organization with effective and resonating voices about equality and
justice.  As a PFLAG leader, I can use my voice to speak out on behalf of my
lesbian and gay friends, and on behalf of lesbian and gay people everywhere.
 Discrimination has no place in our society, and I am eager to utilize my
talents and resources to denounce discrimination against lesbian and gay
Americans, and to create a just world for all people."

###