Subject: PFLAG joins NEWT protest
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 12:27:46 -0400

PRESS RELEASE 
PARENTS FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS, Philadelphia Chapter.  

For Immediate Release: August 19, 1995
Contact: Maggie Heineman, 215.389.1400.
This is a voice mail system. Please leave a message in box 6. Your call will
be returned. 

On August 21, 11 AM, the Philadelphia Chapter of Parents, Family and Friends
of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) will help roll out the unwelcomemat for Newt
Gingrich at Borders Book store in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. 

"Gringrich needs to come to a PFLAG meeting and learn something about the
real meaning of family values," said Maggie Heineman, Vice President of the
Philadelphia Chapter, alluding to the fact that Gingrich's sister Candace is
a lesbian.

Heineman states, "PFLAG's motto is 'Keeping Families Together' and we have
two decades of experience in helping the families of gay, lesbian, and
bisexual people overcome their lack of understanding of homosexuality. But
Gingrich is beyond the pale. His political ambition has put him squarely on
the side of those who demonize his sister along with all if us who identify
with the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and queer communities." 

Candace Gingrich is currently on a nationwide speaking tour sponsored by the
Human Rights Campaign Fund's National Coming out Day Project. Candace
Gingrich encourages gay, lesbian, and bisexual people to become active in the
political process. Flyers promoting Candace Gingrich's public appearances
proclaim that,  "Your brother doesn't have to be speaker for your voice to be
heard in America."

The Philadelphia PFLAG banner and signs proclaiming "Love your Sister" will
be carried by PFLAG members at the demonstration at Borders Book Store in
Bryn Mawr.  

While dutiful consumers inside the store fork over $24 for copies of  "To
Renew America," the REAL NEWT GINGRICH will be outside signing copies of
"Death Certificate for the American People." Demonstrators will have the
opportunity to receive death certificates signed personally by Newt.

This action is supported by ACT UP Philadelpha, AFL-CIO, American Friends
Service Committee, Phildelphia Unemployment Project, Fight the Right Network,
Project Home, The GALAEI Project National Abortion and Reproductive Rights
Action League, Grassroot Queers, Coalition of Labor Union Women, Pennsylvania
NOW, Citizen Action, the Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force, PFLAG, One
Day at a Time, Southeast PA Planned Parenthood, We the People, the Union of
the Homeless and the Youth Health Empowerment Project.

Photo Opportunities Absolutely Guaranteed