From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Nov 95 19:32:01 GMT

Subj:  PFLAG Launches TV Ad Campaign
Date:  95-11-08 14:20:15 EST
From:  CKryzan         

PLEASE PROVIDE BROADEST POSSIBLE COVERAGE
PLEASE RECOPY, REDISTRIBUTE, REPUBLISH AND REPOST THIS MESSAGE EVERYWHERE
**************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE            CONTACT: Damien Enderle
November 8, 1995                                       Tina Dreyfus

The Kamber Group

(202) 223 8700

PFLAG LAUNCHES PROJECT OPEN MIND, 
A NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL CAMPAIGN ON EFFECTS OF HATE SPEECH, HATE CRIMES ON
LESBIAN, GAY AMERICANS
 
TV Ads Are Designed to 'Shock Citizens Out of Silence,' Condemn 'Gay-Bashing'

 WASHINGTON, D.C., November 8 - Hardhitting, emotionally-compelling TV
advocacy advertisements portraying the anti-gay hate speech of Jerry Falwell,
Pat Robertson and Sen. Jesse Helms and images of the deadly consequences of
their words, are the focus of  a national education campaign on the effects
of hate speech and hate crimes on lesbian and gay Americans. 
 Called "Project Open Mind," the national education campaign is being
conducted by PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, an
international organization serving more than 55,000 households, with
affiliates in 380 U.S. cities and 11 other countries.
 The 30-second ads were first shown at a press conference today in
Washington, and will begin airing in Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Tulsa and
Houston this week. 
 The advocacy spots are designed to raise public awareness on the harm caused
by anti-gay rhetoric and bigotry by juxtaposing the words of nationally
prominent anti-gay leaders with images of hate crimes against gays, and gay
and lesbian suicide.
 The first ad spot, "Bashing," show video clips of Robertson equating
homosexuality with an "abomination," a "pathology," "Satanists" and even
"Adolf Hitler." While he is speaking, the viewer witnesses a group of
skinheads beating up a young gay man. At the end of the spot, Nancy Rodriguez
of Atlanta, tells viewers, 'My son Paul was brutally murdered. The FBI said
it was a gay bashing.'
 The second ad, "Innocent," shows video clips from Falwell saying that 'God
hates homosexuality' and that it is a 'moral perversion,' as well as quotes
from Robertson and Helms. While these three are speaking, the viewer sees a
teenage girl in tears entering her parents' bedroom, getting a gun and
considering suicide. At the end, an announcer notes that 'It is estimated
that 30 percent of teenage suicide victims are gay or lesbian.'
 In addition to the television ad campaign, Project Open Mind includes a
program of local community outreach to educate the public about the harsh
realities of anti-gay rhetoric and attacks.
 "The damage caused by these attacks affects every community - large and
small," said Gillis, "that's why our local outreach program is so important.
The television ads may get peoples' attention, but our personal message will
be able to connect with them in a way a television ad can't. "
 "This campaign is about family values," said Mitzi Henderson, president of
PFLAG's board of directors.  "The number one family value is to love and
protect your children. If our community and our society is to embrace family
values, then we must love and protect all of our children. To do so, we must
speak out forcefully against anti-gay bigotry wherever it occurs - and
reaffirm to gays and lesbians that they are entitled to the same respect,
dignity and civil rights as all Americans."
"Dr. Martin Luther King said, 'We will have to repent in this generation not
merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the
appalling silence of the good people,'" said Sandra Gillis, executive
director of PFLAG.  "The purpose of this ad campaign is to shock the good
people of America out of their silence, so that they join with us in
condemning anti-gay bigotry."

                                                    --end--