From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 11:51:02 EDT

NATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION 202-393-2787

ACTION ALERT * ACTION ALERT * ACTION ALERT *

June 28 * Senate Will Attempt to Reduce NEA $ $ $

Senate Appropriations Interior Subcommittee Will Consider FY 95 funding on
June 28th

In a surprise move, the Senate Appropriations Interior Subcommittee will
begin consideration of FY 95 funding for the NEA, NEH and IMS today.  The
Senate usually waits until sometime after the July 4 holiday to start its
deliberations, but has decided to move up its schedule. 

The Subcommittee will meet at 9:00am (EST) to be followed quickly by the
full Appropriations Committee vote in the afternoon.  In the past, more
time has been allotted between subcommittee and full committee
deliberations.  We see this change in procedures as strategy to further
reduce the NEA budget after the 2% reduction last week in the House. 

The Subcommittee Chairman, Robert Byrd (D-WV), along with subcommittee
member Senator Don Nickles (R-OK) wrote a letter to Jane Alexander
criticizing her for defending the Walker Art Center and their presentation
of Ron Athey.  Following the lengthy House floor debate on the NEA last
week and the final vote to cut the NEA by 2%, this sudden move on Byrd's
part is a bad sign. 

Both Byrd and Nickles expressed strong condemnation about the NEA's
funding of the Ron Athey performance at the Walker Arts Center in
Minneapolis.  In their letter, they ask the NEA for assurances that
government supported programs and projects will not misuse taxpayer
funding.  They also call for immediate safeguards to ensure that programs
and projects they find "grossly improper" are not undertaken in the
future.  The Senators warn that future funding i in jeopardy without such
safeguards.  They are not swayed by our arguments that the Walker Art
Center is a prestigious institution; that only about $150 of NEA funds
were used to support the Athey performance; that universal safety
guidelines were followed; viewer discretion was prominently announced in
all press materials and calendars; and press accounts of the performance
were inaccurate. 

CONTACT YOUR SENATOR on the Senate Appropriations Committee and urge
her/him to oppose attempts to reduce the NEA budget and to support, at
minimum, $171.229 million (the amount approved by the House Appropriations
Committee).  Below is a list of full committee.  CALL OR FAX IMMEDIATELY. 
Tell the staff member to let your Senator know that you called, even if
she/he is in the committee meeting. 

DEMOCRATS * Phone (area code 202)
Robert Byrd (WV), Chair         224-3954
Daniel Inouye (HI)              224-3934
Ernest Hollings (SC)            224-6121
J. Bennett Johnston (LA)        224-5824
Patrick Leahy (VT)              224-4242
Jim Sasser (TN)                 224-3344
Dennis DeConcini (AZ)           224-4521
Dale Bumpers (AR)               224-4843
Frank Lautenberg (NJ)           224-4744
Tom Harkin (IA)                 224-3254
Barbara Mikulski (MD)           224-4654
Harry Reid (NV)                 224-3542
J. Robert Kerrey (NE)           224-6551
Herb Kohl (WI)                  224-5653
Patty Murray (WA)               224-2621
Dianne Feinstein (CA)           224-3841

REPUBLICANS * Phone (area code 202)
Mark Hatfield (OR), Ranking     224-3753
Ted Stevens (AK)                224-3004
Thad Cochran (MS)               224-5054
Alfonse D'Amato (NY)            224-6542
Arlen Specter (PA)              224-4254
Pete Domenici (NM)              224-6621
Don Nickles (OK)                224-5754
Phil Gramm (TX)                 224-2934
Christopher Bond (MO)           224-5721
Slade Gorton (WA)               224-2621
Mitch McConnell (KY)            224-2541
Connie Mack (FL)                224-5274
Conrad Burns (MT)               224-2644

MAKE YOUR CALL IMMEDIATELY (then ask your friends and colleagues to do the
same)

NOT CALLING COULD COST THE NEA $8.5 MILLION (. . . and guess who will feel
the cut!)