Subject: PFLAG Offers Hope After Methodist Decision
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:01:10 -0400

May 15, 2000

Contact: Jay Heavner, 202-467-8180 x231, [email-masked]

PFLAG OFFERS HOPE AND AN ALTERNATIVE TO DISHEARTENED UNITED METHODISTS

Cleveland, May 13 -- "PFLAG members nation-wide offer our sympathy and join
in the rising tide of bitter disappointment among United Methodist lesbians,
gays, bisexuals and transgendered people who were rejected again by their
church," said Rev. Paul Beeman, president of Parents, Families and Friends
of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG).  Beeman, of Des Moines, WA, is a United
Methodist minister with a lesbian daughter and gay son.

Beeman was among several hundred parents, clergy and other supporters, many
of them PFLAG members, who had gathered in Cleveland to lobby for full
recognition of gay members in their 8.5 million-member denomination.  They
talked with delegates, rallied and demonstrated, and many were willingly
arrested.  But the 992 delegates at their quadrennial General Conference
closed their 11-day session in Cleveland May 12 after rejecting every
request.  They turned down ordaining openly gay clergy, blessing same-gender
holy unions, and voted to retain their 1972 statement that "homosexuality is
incompatible with Christian teaching."

While Beeman expressed bitter disappointment in the anti-gay action of his
own denomination, he pointed with gratitude to the one-third of delegates
and the many bishops who support and welcome GLBT people.  He also praised
positive steps among Reform Jewish rabbis, the United Church of Christ, and
many Disciples of Christ, Lutheran and Episcopal bodies.

 "While the church trails behind, the rest of society is advancing rapidly
toward full welcome of gay persons," Beeman said. "Your denomination  and
local churches may reject you," Beeman said, "but in all of PFLAG's more
than 440 local chapters and affiliates across the country, you have a home,
a family of loving acceptance, and a venue to work for social change."
PFLAG chapters offer a range of programs, from support group meetings to
Safe Schools advocacy programs.

Both the Episcopal and Presbyterian national organizations will be debating
gay issues in their national meetings in the next few weeks.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
more than 80,000 members & supporters, PFLAG's 443 affiliates are located in
communities around the U.S.

##
PFLAG
1726 M Street, N.W.,
Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 467-8180  Fax: (202) 467-8194
E-mail [email-masked]  Web: http://pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert List, send
an email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~