Subject: Update on "Moms And Dads Go To Washington"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:13:24 -0500

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS
1101 14th Street NW Suite 1030
Washington, DC  20005
202-638-4200 
202-638-0243(FAX)
email: [email-masked]

To:     ALL PFLAG FAMILIES AND FRIENDS
From:  PFLAG Houston
          PFLAG's National Office
Date:  February 12, 1996

UPDATE ON "MOMS AND DADS GO TO WASHINGTON"

A Senate Hearing on the Employment Non Discrimination Act has been scheduled
for Tuesday March 19, 1996, from 2 - 4 p.m.

Efforts are being made to hold the both the lobby training and the kick-off
event at the White House on Tuesday morning.    Tipper Gore, wife of Vice
President Al Gore, has been invited to attend.   THESE PLANS ARE NOT
CONFIRMED AT THIS TIME.

The Candlelight Vigil will take place on the northern steps of the Capitol
Tuesday, March 19 at 7 p.m.

This is a rare opportunity for PFLAG members from EVERY STATE to help
communicate the importance of protecting the employment rights of our
lesbian, gay and bisexual family member and friends.

States without a confirmed PFLAG representative are: Alabama, Conneticut,
Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode
Island, South Dakota, Utah, Bermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and
Wyoming.  

LOBBY APPOINTMENTS ARE CRUCIAL TO THE SUCCESS OF THIS PROJECT!  Make your
appointments with your Senators and your representatives TODAY.   The best
times are Tuesday, March 19 from 10 a.m. - noon, and Wednesday, March 20,
anytime.

To find out who your 2 Senators and 1 Representative are, call 800-688 9889, 
9 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST and press 9.  You will receive the information after
punching in your zip code.  

Call the Washington, D.C office of your Members of Congress, and request an
appointment.  You will most likely be directed to the Scheduler, who may at
first attempt to schedule an appointment with a Congressional staff person.
 When at all possible, push to get the meeting with the Member of Congress,
as a constituent.

**This event is NOT a march, a protest or a rally.  It is an opportunity to
schedule one-on-one educational meeting with our Members of Congress to put
faces and names to this issue of employment discrimination for lesbian, gay
and bisexual Americans.  All particpants should contact PFLAG Houston with
the following information: Name, Address, Contact information, Social
Security Number (for possible White House participation), PFLAG Chapter name,
respective Members of Congress, and lobbying appointment times.

Headquarters Hotel:
Doubletree Park Terrace
$109 Single or Double Occupancy
Group Rate for March 18, 19 and 20 in effective through February 15.
Reservations: Call Coy Tow, Uniglobe Travel, 800-856-1835

For more information on "Moms and Dads Go To Washington" contact:
Gail Rickey
13114 Holston Hills
Houston, TX 77069
713-440-0353 
713-440-1902 (FAX)
email: patrickey @ aol.com