Subject: NEW PFLAG RD and PFLAG and Interfaith Organizers Southern Atlantic Regional Conference ALERT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:23:48 -0400

Please join us in welcoming Glenda Guess, as the appointed PFLAG South
Atlantic Regional Director.  Glenda will serve until October 1996 and will
be on the ballot in the July PFLAGpole to stand for election for a
1996-1998 term.

Glenda will co-host at the south atlantic Regional Conference to be held
August 6-10 in Highlands, NC - information below.

=========
Glenda's bio
---------------
Glenda is a retired teacher from Henderson, Kentucky. She became a member
of Evansville/Henderson/Tri-State PFLAG during the forming of the chapter
there. After chairing the group for two years, she now co chairs with Tena
Jones. She helped to lead her church through the "open and affirming"
process and worked with PFLAG Louisville  to successfully lobby legislators
in defeating thirteen anti-gay inititives. Glenda has spoken to
organizations and college classes as a part of the Tri-State Alliance's
speakers bureau. She has been part of many gay-friendly events. Most
recently, she participated in activities during Pride Week. She is thankful
to her husband, Jim, her daughter and son-in-law, Dana and Mark, and her
gay son, Ben, for their support and pride in her work.

==============================

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PFLAG and Interfaith Organizers Southern Atlantic Regional Conference.

PLEASE REGISTER BY JULY 19TH!!!!

June 27, 1996
Dear PFLAGers:

It is my pleasure to let you know about a regional conference to be held
August 6- 11, 1996 at the UUA Mountain Retreat in Highland, NC.  PFLAGers
from across PFLAG's  South Atlantic Region [KY, TN, NC, SC] and GA and AL
have been invited.

It is a multi-organization, week-long conference of grassroots organizers
and leaders from the South Atlantic area.  By offering training and
interaction across issue areas, we hope to:

*       teach one another effective techniques that have worked in our
respective issue areas, and
*       discover that regardless of issue, we all face similar challenges
with similar solutions and opportunities.

The schedule affords opportunities to:

*       retreat, renew and take care of yourself while learning, sharing,
teaching and networking;
*       network with other PFLAGers;
*       experience a full day of PFLAG specific training and sharing;
*       identify a PFLAG Regional Director for the South Atlantic Region;
*       network with other grassroots leaders and members from the South
Atlantic region;
*       train on issues ranging from conflict management to strategic
planning to public speaking with national leaders.

Although, we hope that you will be able to attend the full week, we
understand that it may not be possible.  Please find a number of
alternative registration packages below.

The registration includes full accommodations, three meals a day with
snacks available 24 hours a day, full use of facilities and all the
trainings.

[SEE REGISTRATION FOR MORE INFO]

*Full week packages: Tues, August 6 through Sunday, August 11
        *$408 for the lodge
        *$383 for a cabin with private bath
        *$358 for a cabin with shared bath
        *$333 for bunkhouse with shared bath

*Commuter rates are $48 per day,includes meals and program fees.

*three night package
        *$264 for the lodge
        *$249 for a cabin with private bath
        *$234 for a cabin with shared bath
        *$219 for bunkhouse with shared bath

All prices include room and board and program fees, Thursday dinner through
Sunday lunch.

If you have questions regarding facilities and fees, please contact the
Mountain directly.

If you have questions regarding programming and PFLAG, please contact me.

Sincerely,

George Neighbors, Jr.
Field Services Director
[email-masked]
============================
Tentative Agenda
=============
Tuesday, August 6:
2:00            Registration opens
6:00            Dinner
7:00            Orientation/ Community building- with Neighbors, Riley,
Sojourner,  Sorensen, Jackson-Denham and other staff from the Mountain
9:30            Worship Service

Wednesday, August 7:
7:00            Meditation
8:00            Breakfast
9:00            Alliance building for Faith and Values-based Activists
                        Sojourner / Sorenson
1:00            Lunch
2:15            Centering
2:30            Alliance Building for Faith and Values-based Activists -
Workshops
                        Neighbors, Riley, and others
4:00            BREAK
4:15            Free Time!!!  OR:  Time for Caucuses, Organizational
Meetings,  Workshops Initiated by Participants, Fun, Strategic Thinking
Sessions, Cyberspace Training!!!!!
6:00            Dinner
7:00            Cultural Event:  Mini-poetry reading, performance, etc.
7:15            Evening Program:
                "How Does my Faith / How do my Values/ Shape my Activism?
Towards what Vision do I Labor?"
                McNatt,  Hartsock, Davidoff
9:45            Evening Worship
Thursday, August 8:
7:00            Meditation
8:00            Breakfast
9:00            The Wonderful World of Leadership!!     Neighbors   OR
                Getting the Word Out!  Vision, Message, and Media McNatt/TBA
1:00            Lunch
2:30            Care and Feeding of Volunteers                  Riley  OR
                Membership Recruitment and Retention Neighbors OR
                Newsletter Production                   Montgomery Rutt
4:00            BREAK
4:15            Free Time!!!  OR:  Time for Caucuses, Organizational
Meetings,  Workshops Initiated by Participants, Fun, Strategic Thinking
Sessions, Cyberspace Training!!!!!
6:00            Dinner
7:00            Cultural Event:  Mini- poetry reading, concert, etc.
7:15            Evening Program:  Where Are We?  What's Going On?
                Panel with Davidoff, McNatt, Seagrest, Carter, Sojourner
9:45            Evening Worship

Friday, August 9
7:00            Meditation
8:00            Breakfast
9:00            Basics of Group Dynamics  Sojourner / Sorensen
10:00           Building an Organization to Hold our Vision
                The Interfaith Alliance  OR
                The Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice  OR
                Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays OR
                 NCMobe
1:00            Lunch
2:30            Continuation of Morning Program
4:30            Building Local Alliances                Sojourner / Sorensen
6:00            Dinner
7:00            Cultural Event:  Mini- poetry reading, concert, etc.
7:15            Evening Program:  Living in Resistance to Oppression
                with Seagrest, Sojourner, Carter ,McNatt, Neighbors
Sundown Shabbat Service

Saturday, August 10
7:00            Meditation
8:00            Breakfast
9:00            Voter Registration and Education  Carter, OR
                Protecting Public Schools:  Promoting OUR Family Values
                Neighbors / Duby  OR
                Alliance Building                Sojourner / Sorensen
1:00            Lunch
2:15            Centering
2:30            Organizing Clergy        Shepard         OR
                Strategic Planning       Neighbors       OR
                Self-Care for Leaders   Riley           OR
                Conflict Management     Sojourner
4:00            BREAK
4:15            Free Time!!!  OR
                Time for Caucuses, Organizational Meetings,  Workshops
Initiated by Participants, Strategic Thinking Sessions, Cyberspace
Training!!!!!
6:00            Dinner
7:00            Cultural Event:  Mini- poetry reading, concert, etc.
7:15            Evening Program:  CELEBRATION!!!!! with the entire cast of
characters
9:45            Worship Service

Sunday, August 11
7:00            Meditation
8:00            Breakfast
9:00            Closing Plenary Session  -- Emergent Agenda
                Sojourner, Sorensen et al
11:00           Closing Worship Service
12:00           Lunch
1:00            On the Road!!!  Now the Real Work Begins!!!

=================
Biographies of Conference Faculty:

Mandy Carter  has been an organizer for over twenty years in North Carolina
and nationally.

Denise Davidoff is the current Moderator of the Unitarian Universalist
Association (UUA) and Vice-President of The Interfaith Alliance (TIA).

Shelley Jackson Denham a musician, is Director of Program and
Communications at the mountain.

Deanna Duby is Director of Education at People for the American Way in
Washington, D.C.

William Henry Hartsock is a director at the Rural Souther Voice for Peace
in Burnsville, North Carolina.

Rosemary Brae McNatt, author, mother, wife, seminarian, and cultural
critic, lives outside New York City.

George Neighbors, Jr. is Field Director of PFLAG: Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

The Rev. Meg A. Riley directs  the UUA's Washington Office for Faith in Action.

Laura Montgomery Rutt is an activist in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Mab Seagrest, whose latest book is Memoirs of a Race Traitor, works for the
World Council of Churches Rural/ Urban Mission..

Laurie Shepard is Membership Director at RCRC, the Religious Coalition for
Reproductive Choice.

Sabrina Sojourner, whose latest book is Psychic Scars, is a political
consultant in Washington, D.C.

Sandy Sorensen currently serves at the United Church of Christ's Office of
Church in Society.

Jane Warth is the data systems manager/ reference librarian at the mountain.

Kendrick Wronski is a visual artist and practitioner of Vipassana
Meditation who lives in Washington, D.C.

These leaders are confirmed.  Others may also be present at the conference.