Subject: POM Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:14:52 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind UPDATE
October 2, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

PFLAG ST. PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS LAUNCHES PROJECT OPEN MIND

Congratulations to PFLAG St. Paul/Minneapolis for a tremendously successful
launch of Project Open Mind.  On Friday, September 13th, only GOOD things
happened for PFLAG!  Friday morning's press conference was hosted by
Minnesota Attorney General Hubert H. Humphrey III whose public endorsement
is important to our continued expansion of the Project and the visibility
and credibility of our efforts.  The Attorney General also read an
endorsement from US Senator Paul Wellstone (MN) who was unable to attend
due to commitments in Washington, D.C.  AG Humphrey turned the conference
over to Dr. Karen Irvin, PFLAG Regional Director and campaign director for
Minnesota.  Karen's remarks included her own story as the mother of a
lesbian daughter.  Karen has done a Herculean job of leading the chapter in
bringing Project Open Mind to the Twin Cities.

Also speaking were Mitzi Henderson, PFLAG National President and Judith
Ulseth, former National Board secretary and mother of a gay son.  Cordelia
Strandskov, a young lesbian woman who shared her personal story
illustrating the problems young gays and lesbians face in school, and Kerry
Severson, a 39 year old gay man, who told the press about being beaten
unconscious three years ago outside a St. Paul gay bar.  The chapter has
lined up an impressive list of public endorsements (see Public Endorsements
below).  The launch was supported by a two week television buy that put
both our new ads on the NBC and ABC affiliates and the WB Independent
station (the CBS affiliate would not air the ads before 11pm so time was
not purchased).

We also recognize and thank our Minneapolis consultant, Curt Peterson, for
doing a great job assisting the chapter with preparation and implementation
of Project Open Mind.  Curt has brought other professionals in on a
pro-bono basis to assist in media relations and creation of print ads for
the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

National
Special thanks and recognition to Chuck Van Hall, PFLAG Olympia (WA) for
obtaining the public endorsement of AFSCME International.  Previously,
Chuck had secured the endorsement and financial support of the Washington
Federation of State Employees for the Seattle/Olympia POM campaign.  That
effort opened the door to the national organization.

Public Endorsements

US Senator Paul Wellstone
US Representative Martin Olav Sabo (MN)
AFSCME International
Hubert H. Humphrey III, Attorney General, State of Minnesota
Joan Anderson Growe, Secretary of State, State of Minnesota
Allen H. Spear, President, Minnesota State Senate
Phillip J. Riveness, State Senator
Wes Skoglund, State Representative
Lisa McDonald, Council Member, Minneapolis City Council
Steve Minn, Council Member, Minneapolis City Council
League of Women Voters of Minnesota
Minnesota AIDS Project
Gay and Lesbian Community Action Council (GLCAC)
Philanthrofund Foundation
Shir Tikvah Congregation
Twin Cities Friends Meeting (Religious Society of Friends - Quaker)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Plus an extensive list of local interfaith clergy

ACTION ITEMS

Financial support is urgently needed at this time.  We are approaching the
first anniversary of the public launch of Project Open Mind and the future
expansion of Project Open Mind will be determined directly by the continued
financial support of our members, allies and friends.  If you have
previously contributed to Project Open Mind, please renew that commitment
with a contribution now.  If you have not contributed to Project Open Mind,
consider the following and send your check now:

Significant accomplishments from Project Open Mind:

*       Multi-million dollar earned media campaign
*       Extensive list of endorsers and allies
*       Renewed and new coalition partners
*       Increase national recognition as a pro-family, pro-gay organization
by the White House and members of Congress
        -       Meeting with Assistant Attorney General Eleanor Acheson
        -       Tipper Gore breakfast
        -       Congressional testimonies - DOMA
        -       Congressional endorsements
*       Significant increases in attendance at meetings in POM cities
*       The Hate Crimes Community Meeting - Houston
*       The Library Exhibit - Tulsa
*       Pride March Marshall and the Olympic exhibit - Atlanta
*       Pride March Marshall- Seattle
*       First major corporate endorsement - Nordstrom WA/AK Region
*       First major labor endorsement - WA AFSCME and National AFSCME
*       Expanded training for POM chapters, including organizational,
leadership and membership development, media relations and fundraising

Major media coverage has included (abbreviated list):

*       CBS Evenings News with Dan Rather and CBS Radio
*       The New York Times ( 4 times)
*       The Wall Street Journal
*       The Washington Post
*       The Boston Globe
*       USA Today
*       Advertising Age (twice)
*       NewsTalk TV
*       BBC (England)
*       Tom Leykis Show (syndicated radio)
*       Debra Saunders column
*       San Francisco Examiner
*       Los Angeles Times (twice)
*       NPR's "All Things Considered"
*       MTV News
*       Minneapolis Star Tribune - including editorial support
*       Major newspapers in all POM cities and scores of others

Please mail your contribution NOW to:

PFLAG
PO Box 96519
Washington, DC 20090-6519

Makes checks payable to PFLAG-Project Open Mind.  Thank you for helping us
continue to educate America about the harmful effects of hate speech and
violence.
This concludes this Update from Jeffrey Garrett, Director of Marketing and
Training ([email-masked])