Subject: POM Update 7/26/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:28:28 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
July 26, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National - While the summer is usually a slow time in Washington, DC, it
has been anything but slow in the National Office.  This update includes
information since the last update dated July 12, 1996.  We are working
closely right now with St. Paul/Minneapolis and St. Louis in preparation
for their respective September launches.  We will be exhibiting at the
Human Rights Campaign OutVote96 Convention in Chicago August 16-18.  This
will be another excellent opportunity for us to bring the message of PFLAG
and Project Open Mind to a large, dedicated and energized group of
advocates from all over the country.

Atlanta - The Olympic Exhibit is up and running and the response has been
very favorable.  In addition to continuous showing of all four television
commercials, the exhibit also features information translated into five
foreign languages and merchandise.  According to Rev. David Lull of the
Trinity United Methodist Church, our exhibit is one of the most attractive
and the only one that addresses an international audience.

St. Louis - The Campaign is off to a great start.  The weekend of July
19-21 was a very busy one for the chapter.  A community forum was held at
the Center for Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Transgenders and Straight Allies
on Friday evening, July 19.  A large group turned out and gave Project Open
Mind strong public and financial support.   George Neighbors, Field Service
Director and Jeffrey Garrett, POM Director trained an enthusiastic group of
chapter members over the weekend.

St Paul/Minneapolis -  Planning and preparation for the September launch
continues to go well.  The chapter is looking forward to two special
events.  On Friday, August 2, the Gay and Lesbian Community Action Council
is hosting a reception honoring the PFLAG National Board of Directors.  The
Board is holding its quarterly meeting in Minneapolis.  Saturday night, the
chapter is hosting its first house party.  In addition to the Board, major
donors and endorsers have been invited.

Media Coverage

7/96 - Stonewall News Northwest - news story on Seattle launch
7/4 - Wisconsin Light - news story on second rollout and Seattle launch
7/26 - WNGN TV (IND) - Atlanta - news story on Olympic exhibit

ACTION ITEMS

The need for financial support to continue expansion of Project Open Mind
is critical.  Please consider a contribution NOW to help us reach more
Americans with our message:

Mail your contribution to:

PFLAG
PO Box 96519
Washington, DC  20090-6519

Please indicate <Project Open Mind> on your check.  Thank you for your support!
This concludes this week's Update from Jeffrey Garrett, Director, Project
Open Mind ([email-masked])