Subject: POM Update 7/12/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:39:36 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
July 12, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National - Greetings again after a small hiatus for travel and the Fourth
of July Holiday.  We hope that everyone had a great time celebrating our
country's Independence Day with family and friends.  We have been busy
working with the St. Paul/Minneapolis chapter and the St. Louis chapter,
helping prepare for the fall public launch in these next two cities.

We continue to receive recognition as an important national voice on family
values and gay and lesbian issues.   Mitzi Henderson testified last week
before the Senate Judiciary Committee in opposition to the Defense of
Marriage Act (DOMA).  Her testimony drew favorable comments from members of
Congress, their staffs and members of the media.

In what most if not all of us would consider a compliment, US Rep. Bob
Dornan, in a speech on the House floor attacked PFLAG and Project Open
Mind.  He referred to Project Open Mind as, "a skillful homosexual
propaganda strategy that labels anyone who opposes 'gay' activism an
'extremist' or 'bigot'.  It is no accident that the pro-gay group PFLAG has
targeted Christian Coaltion founder Pat Robertson with its 625,000 ad
campaign linking Christian leaders with heinous violence and suicidal
youth", he concluded.  His remarks were entered into the Congressional
Record.

Atlanta - From what we hear in Washington, DC, the anticipation of the
thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are filling the air with the
Olympics scheduled to open Friday, July 19th.  The PFLAG/Project Open Mind
exhibit at Trinity United Methodist Church should draw good crowds as it
features endless loop showing of all four television commercials, as well
as materials in English and a number of translations.  We have also
highlighted our international affiliates.

Seattle/Olympia - In the wake of the public launch and airing of the tv
ads, the chapter continues to plan and execute its public education
outreach.  Speaking engagements and interviews continue to be scheduled.
Public support for the television stations is requested.   See action items
below.

St. Louis - We are excited about bringing Project Open Mind to the Gateway
to the West.  Chapter President and local POM co-chair, Millie
Johanningmeier, and co chair and past president, Carolyn Griffin are busy
planning for a big weekend starting July 19.  A reception for the chapter
and the lgbt community is planned for Friday night.  The remainder of the
weekend will be full with POM training by Jeffrey Garrett and George
Neighbors from the National office.  Several fundraising appointments are
also planned.

St Paul/Minneapolis - The chapter planning for the September launch is
going full throttle.  Two house parties are planned over the next several
weeks as well as other fundraising and public endorsement activities.  The
PFLAG National Board will be holding its quarterly meeting in
Minneapolis the first weekend of August.  Several events and media
appointments are being planned around that meeting.

Media Coverage

6/17 - INSIDE PR - National trade Journal - article which described Project
Open        Mind as a casebook for advocacy advertising
6/28 - Seattle Gay News - feature story on Marilyn Cass, PFLAG and POM
6/30 - DEAR ABBY column - strong pro-PFLAG column
7/1 - KING TV (NBC) - Seattle - news story with ad; interview with Marilyn Cass
7/2 - Seattle Post-Intellingencer - news story; interview with Marilyn Cass
7/2 - ANN LANDERS column - strong pro-PFLAG column

ACTION ITEMS

Please contact the following Seattle TV stations and THANK THEM for running
the new tv spots for the duration of the three week buy:

KOMO TV (ABC) - 206.443.4000
KING TV (NBC) - 206.448.5555
KSTW TV (CBS) - 206.441.7945

Please contact the Walt Disney Company to express your support in light of
the expanding boycott by the Radical Religious Right:

Michael Eisner
The Walt Disney Co.
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA  91521-1010
        OR call and leave a message of support:  818.560.2413

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])