Subject: POM Update 6/14/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:00:56 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
June 14, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

SEATTLE/OLYMPIA - We have launched the campaign PUBLICLY in Seattle.
CONGRATULATIONS to the Seattle and Olympia chapters for a very successful
rollout.  The press conference was held Thursday, June 13, 1996, at the
Seattle First Baptist Church.  The Rev. Rodney R. Romney hosted the press
conference, lending important public support to our campaign from the
mainstream religious community.  Two major network affiliates attended,
KING TV-NBC and KSTW TV- CBS, as well as the top-rated radio station, KIRO
and the Seattle Post Intelligencer (PI), the morning daily newspaper.  News
coverage was given on the early and late evening news on KING TV as well as
the morning news Friday morning.  The Seattle PI ran a story Friday morning
in Susan Paynter's column.  A community celebration was held Thursday
evening at Kid Mohair, a new, popular club.  The event was hosted by Miss
Gay Washington, Gaysha Starr.  Hors d'oeuvres and champagne were provided
by the bar.  Our thanks go to Gaysha and the bar for a joyful and
entertaining evening.

Mitzi Henderson and Jeffrey Garrett were interviewed by Mike Webb, of KRWM
Radio for his Sunday morning program.  The PFLAG/POM segment is scheduled
for Sunday, June 23.  The Rev. Don Fitzgerald, Seattle PFLAG, appeared live
on KVI radio Monday, June 17.  He represented PFLAG and Project Open Mind
in an on-air debate with a minister from the Radical Right.  Marilyn Cass,
Seattle PFLAG chapter president, gave a presentation to Nordstrom regional
managers Wednesday, June 12.

In Olympia, the creative tv series, "All Out! Olympia", spearheaded by Rev.
Paul Beeman, began airing over the weekend on TCTV, a community access
channel.  The series consists of half hour programs taken from videos
secured by a grant from the Pride Foundation and feature the original ads.
Chapter members participated in a public forum broadcast by KAOS radio on
June 16.  The chapter exhibited at Super Saturday, held at The Evergreen
State College.  Nearly 33,000 people attended.  Finally, the chapter has
held 13 house parties to raise money and provide information on Project
Open Mind to help with our ongoing campaign.

National - CORRECTIONS:  With apologies to our OUTSTANDING advertising
agency, we correct our error in last week's update - our agency is
Shepardson, Stern and Kaminsky.  Operating under a very tight deadline,
they created and produced new commercials.  They have now confirmed that
one of our new ads has been ACCEPTED by all three major network affiliates
in Seattle.  We will issue a SPECIAL Update highlighting the scripts of the
new ads.  We mentioned in the Update dated June 7, 1996 that Dear Abby
would be mentioning PFLAG in an upcoming column - the date has been MOVED
to July 2, 1996.

Media Coverage

6/14 - KING TV (NBC) - Seattle - news story on the early and late news
6/14 - Seattle Post-Intelligencer - morning daily paper - Susan Paynter
column -        interview with Marilyn Cass
6/15 - KING TV (NBC) - morning news
6/16 - KAOS Radio - Olympia - public forum - panelists included chapter members
6/17 - KVI Radio - Seattle - panel discussion with PFLAG member, Rev. Don
Fitzgerald

Action Items

Send congratulations for a successful launch to:

Marilyn Cass, Seattle - [email-masked] (no n in name)
Rev. Paul Beeman, Olympia - [email-masked]

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])