Subject: POM Launches in Seattle
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 13:58:10 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
June 13, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

SPECIAL EDITION ON SEATTLE LAUNCH - NATIONAL PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 13, 1996
CONTACT: Rob Banaszak, Jeffrey Garrett
(202) 638-4200

National Campaign Tackling Hate Speech Rolls Out in Three More Cities

Broad Support Includes Corporate Sponsor Nordstrom

SEATTLE, June 13 - Moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grandparents and friends
joined together today to announce the next phase of "Project Open Mind" -
the national educational campaign focusing on the effects of hate speech on
lesbian and gay Americans. The campaign, engineered by PFLAG: Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, uses a twofold strategy of
multimedia national and local communications and community outreach at the
grassroots level. The second phase moves into Seattle this week with
broad-based community and even corporate support.  Targeted cities
Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis will follow with the advertising, public
relations and community outreach campaign.

A Seattle press conference today debuted a new 30-second TV advocacy ad
that takes on the issues of hate crimes and high teen suicide rates faced
by lesbians and gay men.  The ad will begin airing in Seattle this week as
the campaign kicks off.  Ad buys are also planned for Minneapolis/St.Paul
and St. Louis for late summer.

"This campaign is about family values," said Mitzi Henderson, president of
PFLAG's board of directors.  "The number one family value is to love and
protect your children.  If our community and our society are to embrace
family values, then we must love and protect all of our children.  To do
so, we must speak out forcefully against anti-gay bigotry wherever it
occurs - and reaffirm to gays and lesbians that they are entitled to the
same respect, dignity and civil rights as all Americans."

The first phase of "Project Open Mind" targeted the cities of Atlanta,
Houston and Tulsa.  The
campaign drew national attention last fall after Pat Robertson and his
Christian Broadcasting Network threatened legal action against any stations
airing PFLAG's first ads which addressed the effects of hate speech (some
voiced by Robertson) against lesbians and gays.

While the first phase of "Project Open Mind" became known for the attacks
by Robertson, the
second phase is likely to be recognized for a wide spread voice of support.
Nordstrom - a
Seattle based department store - signed on as a corporate sponsor of
"Project Open Mind."
Likewise, Washington Federation of State Employees and the Washington
Education Association are backing the campaign.  U.S. Bank and the
Washington State League of Women Voters endorsed "Project Open Mind."
Washington's Governor Mike Lowry, Seattle Mayor Norm Rice, Congress members
Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), John Lewis (D-GA), Gerry Studds (D-MA) and
Houston and Atlanta Mayors Bob Lanier and Bill Campbell have also endorsed
PFLAG and the group's efforts with "Project Open Mind."

The television ad is designed to help open the door for PFLAG members'
community outreach. "The damage caused by hate speech affects every
community - large and small," said PFLAG Executive Director Sandra Gillis,
"that's why our local outreach program is so important.  The television ads
may get peoples' attention, but our personal message will be able to
connect with them in a way a television ad can't."

The new 30-second spot, like it's predecessors, is hard-hitting and
emotionally compelling.  The ad titled "They deserve it?" displays sunny
images of children playing while the announcer states, "Some of them will
be three times more likely to commit suicide than their friends.  There's
also a greater chance they'll be assaulted, beaten, threatened, harassed or
even murdered... Just because they are lesbian or gay.  But look at them,
they deserve it don't they?"

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue about
sexual orientation and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.  Serving a membership of more than 60,000
households, PFLAG affiliates are located in more than 390 communities
across the United States and 11 other countries.