Subject: POM Update 6/7/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:09:05 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
June 7, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National - Welcome back to The Kamber Group!  Our national pr/media firm is
back with us to assist in the media coverage for the second phase of
Project Open Mind, including public launches in Seattle, Minneapolis/St
Paul and St. Louis.  TKG was instrumental in helping us gain important
media coverage during phase one, and will be working with us to boost our
national media exposure in phase two.
We have also welcomed Shepardson, Stein and Kaminsky on board as our
advertising agency for phase two.  They have produced two powerful,
emotionally compelling ads for this second phase, one of which will go into
immediate use.  As this Weekly Update goes out, we have received word of
tentative acceptance of the ad by all three major network affiliates in
Seattle.  One word of assurance regarding the existing ads - we will
continue to use them in public education, community outreach and
fundraising.

Seattle/Olympia - It is countdown time for Seattle/Olympia!  The press
conference and public launch take place on Thursday, June 13th.  The press
conference is scheduled for 10am PST at the First Baptist Church in
Seattle.  The minister of First Baptist, Rev. Rodney Romney, is hosting the
conference, which will include Mitzi Henderson, National President, Marilyn
Cass, Seattle chapter president, and Olympia chapter member Alec Clayton,
whose son committed suicide after being assaulted, as well as numerous
mothers and fathers from various PFLAG chapters in Western Washington.
Mitzi Henderson and Jeffrey Garrett will be appearing on KWRM at 1pm on a
radio talk show.  A launch party and celebration is planned for 5pm - 8pm
at one of the local bars.  With the help of our local pr consultant, Diane
McDade and Associates, the chapters have laid a strong foundation for the
launch and we are confident of a very successful rollout of Project Open
Mind.

St Paul/Minneapolis - the chapter continues to prepare for their public
launch in September.   POM training was conducted this past weekend by
Jeffrey Garrett.  Regional Director and local POM director Karen Irvin,
working with our local pr consultant, Curt Peterson, did a great job
hosting a public forum on Friday night, June 7th in addition to the
training Saturday and Sunday.  As it was a beautiful weekend in the Twin
Cities, something of a rarity, the participants are to be congratulated for
giving up the chance to enjoy one of their infrequent chances to be
outdoors!  Thanks go to the following individuals and organizations whose
contributions helped make the weekend a big success:  Floyd Ward, Olup and
Associates, Attorneys at Law, Starbucks, Big Brothers and Sisters, Jeff
Canham, Thom McMahon and Monster X.

Media Coverage

Special note:  While not specifically related to Project Open Mind, PFLAG
will be mentioned in an upcoming Dear Abby column.  The run date is
scheduled for June 10, 1996 - watch your daily newspapers.

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])