Subject: POM Weekly Update - 5/31/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:51:56 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
May 31, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National - the National Office is very pleased to announce another Project
Open Mind target city - St. Louis.  The chapter leadership has voted
unanimously to bring the campaign to this important midwest city, joining
with the Twin Cities - St. Paul/Minneapolis, in bringing our message to the
"heartland of America".   Our thanks and congratulations to the St. Louis
chapter.  Chapter leader Millie Johanningmeier will coordinate the effort.

Buffalo/Niagara - The chapter just completed a very successful public
education effort that included Project Open Mind.  On Friday morning,
chapter leaders Jane Benfante and Babs Conant appeared with Jeffrey Garrett
on AM Buffalo, WKBW, Ch 7 (ABC), a popular morning tv talk show.  The
station was so impressed with PFLAG's efforts that they gave us two
segments on the show rather than the usual one 8-minute slot.  The station
received many complaint calls.  Please see Action Items below for public
support.  On Sunday, the chapter hosted a Symposium: Religion and Gay
Lives.  Three panels covered religpe sex marriage and the power of
words - a Project Open Mind presentation was given, including showing of
the television commercials.  The chapter is to be congratulated for their
outstanding public education and advocacy efforts.

Seattle/Olympia -  In their latest successful efforts to obtain public
endorsements,  the chapter has secured the support of State Senator Nita
Rinehart as well as the Northwest Gay Times.

Media Coverage

5/96 - Q News - monthly Western New York g/l publication - news story on
Symposium in Buffalo and POM presentation
5/29 - Niagara Gazette - news item on Project Open Mind and Jeffrey
Garrett's appearances on AM Buffalo and the Symposium

Public Endorsements

State Senator Nita Rinehart (WA)
Northwest Gay Times (WA)

Action Items

*       Please contact WKBW, Channel 7(ABC), Buffalo to thank them for
airing the segments on PFLAG's Symposium and Project Open Mind:

        AM Buffalo
        WKBW TV
        7 Broadcast Plaza
        Buffalo, NY     14202
        T - 716.845.6100
        email:  [email-masked]

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])