Subject: Weekly Update 5/28/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:29:23 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
May 24, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

Atlanta - Plans for the Olympic exhibit continue to go forward, as well as
planning for the role of Grand Marshalls in the Atlanta Pride Parade.  A
presentation has also been given at the Southeast Conference of GLSTN (Gay,
Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network).  For the first time, PFLAG
exhibited at the Georgia Parents Network, bringing our message to another
statewide parent group.

Buffalo - Jane and Tony Benfante appeared a local tv talk show on Lockport
Jones Cable.  Tony appeared on another cable tv talk show, Adelphis cable.
These appearances are preludes to the Benfantes and Jeffrey Garrett
appearing this Friday, May 31st, on the morning tv program, AM Buffalo.
Jeffrey will also be speaking at the PFLAG Buffalo/Niagara Falls Symposium
this Sunday in Buffalo.

Houston - Susan Upchurch reports that the PFLAG/POM exhibit at the
International Festival was a huge success.

Seattle/Olympia - The chapters continue to line up impressive public
endorsements and donations from a broad spectrum of community organizations
and public leaders.  See endorsements below.  The Seattle chapter has
accepted an invitation by the Pride Committee to serve as Grand Marshalls
of this year's Pride parade.

St. Paul/Minneapolis - Karen Irvin and the Steering Committee have done a
great job of constructing a strong foundation for their September launch of
Project Open Mind.  Meetings with press, potential major donors and
foundations were held as part of the advance field trip by Campaign
Manager, Jeffrey Garrett.  The Supreme Court decision came down the Monday
of the trip, and both Karen and Jeffrey were interviewed by the Minneapolis
Star-Tribune for their coverage of the decision.  In addition, both of them
were included as speakers at a Monday evening rally on the steps of the
State Capitol, sponsored by the Gay and Lesbian Community Action Center
(GLCAC), giving PFLAG a prominent role in this joyous occasion.

Tulsa - The continued effect of the Library exhibit continues in community
outreach.  The local chapter of the KKK attacked PFLAG, helping open up new
avenues for the chapter to bring the Campaign message to the black
community in Tulsa.  They also participated in Unity Week's Family Day,
sponsored by Tulsa Metropolitan Ministries - an organization of religious,
government and social services agencies.

Media Coverage

5/96 - The Empty Closet - statewide g/l newspaper - news story
5/14 - Adelphia Cable - Buffalo - talk show - interview with Tony Benfante
5/15 - Jones Cable - Lockport, NY - talk show - interview with Benfantes
5/15 - Focus Point - Minneapolis g/l weekly - news story
Spring, '96 - American Friends Service Committee Magazine - natl quarterly
- news story

Public Endorsements

US Bank
King County Gary Lock
Mayor Norm Rice, Seattle
Mayor Bob Jacobs, Olympia
Rep. Dawn Mason
Rep. Ed Murray
King Co Councilmember Maggi Fimia, Larry Gossett, Tom Weeks
Councilmembers Martha Choe, Sue Donaldson, Jan Drago, Margaret Pageler,
        Tina Podlodowski
Church Council of Greater Seattle
Gay/Lesbian Employees at Microsoft
Hands Off Washington
The Lesbian Resource Center
Metropolitan Community Church
The Pride Foundation
Seattle Commission for Gays and Lesbians
Tacoma and Pierce County YWCA
Washington Education Assn
Washington State League of Women Voters

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])