Subject: POM Update 5/10/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:28:57 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
May 10, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National 
We continue to receive requests at the national level for meetings to discuss
PFLAG's mission of support, education and advocacy.  Recently, National
President Mitzi Henderson and Board member Kelly Kirby met with an executive
from IBM who is responsible for the corporation's diversity program.  A
member of the gay and lesbian employee group participated in the meeting as
well.  The outcome was  very positive.  IBM is interested in working with
PFLAG on issues of mutual concern and assisting us in our continued corporate
outreach as well.

Atlanta
Plans are proceeding to exhibit at Trinity United Methodist Church, located
within the Olympic ring.  We will have the opportunity to introduce PFLAG and
the message of Project Open Mind to an international audience.   It is
estimated that pedestrian traffic in front of the church will reach nearly
1.5 million people.  We plan to have information about our international
chapters, as well.  Please see the action section below for needed
assistance.

Seattle/Olympia
The outreach efforts continue to prove quite successful.  The most current
endorsement for Project Open Mind comes from Mayor Norm Rice, Seattle, who is
 running for Governor this year.  Chuck Van Hall, Olympia, gave a
presentation to the First Annual Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered
Political Planning Conference, "Mapping Our Journey".

Tulsa
The extensive exhibit the City/County Library completed its one month run,
despite some community effort to have the exhibit shut down early.  A
unscientific tv station telephone poll conducted during the exhibit period
ended with 31% of Tulsans in favor of the exhibit and 61% opposed.  According
to Nancy McDonald, these results represent significant progress in Tulsa.

Other cities
Anita Manley, president of the PFLAG New Paltz chapter helped plan a
community forum in Kingston, NY.   She gave the Project Open Mind
presentation, stepping in at the last minute for Regional Director, Bonnie
Larson, who was called away due to a family health crisis.  Our condolences
go out to Bonnie, her husband, John and her family on the passing away of her
father.   Our thanks go to Anita for giving the presentation in Bonnie's
absence.

Media
3/16 - Waco Herald-Tribune - news story on Moms and Dads lobby trip,
interviews  with Gail Rickey, Nita Pierce, David Eddleman and Bruce Ball.
3/22 - OutLook - Vancouver, BC award-winning cable program hosted by Roy
 Johnston and Cathy Grant - news story including airing of the commercials

ACTION:

* Contact your Representative and demand that they vote against HR 3396 - the
 
 anti-gay marriage bill:
 - U.S. Capitol Switchboard:  202-224-3121
 - Letter to a Representative:
 - The Honorable (full name)
 - United State House of Representatives
 - Washington, DC 20515
 - Dear Congressman or Congresswoman (last name)

* Help is needed to translate materials for the Atlanta Olympic exhibit.
 Based on the locations of our international chapters, we especially need
help with translations in Spanish, French and Russian - if you can help,
please email a reply to: [email-masked]

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])