Subject: POM Weekly Update 5/3/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:46:52 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
May 3, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

The Steering Committee of Project Open Mind has approved the creation of new
ad concepts by our advertising agency, Zimmerman and Markman.  This decision
was forced by the continued reluctance of broadcasters to accept the current
ads, due primarily to fears of possible legal actions.  While remaining
strongly committed to the continued use of the current ads for public
education and community outreach, the Committee put the needs our target city
chapters first.  They recognize the crucial role the television commercials
play in launching Project Open Mind and getting the community's attention in
a broad and hard-hitting manner.  The necessity of this decision because of
the broadcasters' position means additional expense to the Project that we
had hoped to avoid.

Atlanta - We have received an invitation to exhibit at Trinity United
Methodist Church during the Olympic Games.  The Church is located within the
Olympic ring across from City Hall along a major pedestrian pathway.  It is
estimated that 85,000 people per day will pass by the Church, which is
planning a number of events to draw them inside.  We have an incredible
opportunity to introduce PFLAG and bring our message to a world-wide
audience.  We also plan to visually represent the international reach of
PFLAG.  In other news, the chapter has given presentations to the Atlanta
chapter of GLSTN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network), West George
College, Emory College and Georgia Tech.  A June presentation is planned for
the diversity unit of Lucent Technologies (formerly Bell Laboratories),
according to chapter leader Judy Colbs. 

Buffalo/Niagara Falls - Jane and Tony Benfante are scheduled to appear on May
9th at Niagara Community College, May 14th on the Adelphia cable talk show
and on May 15th on Lockport Jones cable on a live/call-in show. PFLAG
Buffalo/Niagara is also sponsoring "A Symposium on Religion and Gay Lives" on
Sunday, June 2nd.  Elizabeth Conant, along with the Benfantes, is sponsoring
a Project Open Mind presentation on Sunday, June 2nd by Jeffrey Garrett, who
will co-facilitate a panel on "The Power of Words" with long-time Washington,
DC activist, Cheryl Camillo, now with the Empire State Pride Agenda.

Tulsa - While generating the expected amount of community response, the
chapter's extensive exhibit at the City/County Library completed its one
month display.  All television stations covered the exhibit.  The ABC
affiliate conducted what they later admitted in a meeting with chapter
leaders was a flawed public opinion poll.  The results of the poll indicated
that 70% felt the exhibit should be closed, with 30% supporting it.  The
Library Commissioner resisted the efforts by some to have the exhibit closed
early.   Congratulations to Nancy McDonald, Kathy and Bill Hinkle and all of
the Tulsa chapter for this very successful and courageous community outreach
project.    

Seattle/Olympia - The chapters continue their very successful efforts at
fundraising and public endorsements.  Paul Beeman, national Board member,
reports the recent achievement by Olympia chapter member, Chuck Van Hall, in
obtaining a public endorsement and a $5,000 donation by the Washington
Federation of State Employees, the state chapter of AFSCME.  Congratulations
to Chuck for this outstanding effort.

Public Endorsement - the Washington Federation of State Employees

Media Coverage

1/29 - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - free advertising space for Sarasota PFLAG
4/12 - This Week in Texas - statewide weekly publication - news story on the
state  meeting of gay and lesbian journalists that included a "heated"
discussion of  Project Open Mind ads and the refusal of Fox TV to air them
4/30 - The Advocate - national g/l magazine - story of Rep. Peter
Torkildsen's  meeting with the participants in the Moms and Dads Go to
Washington trip

Action Items

* We have received numerous requests for these Weekly Updates to be
 reproduced and made available at chapter methose who are not on-line.  Thank you for helping our members and allies  who
are not on-line to stay informed about Project Open Mind.

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])