Subject: POM Weekly Update 4/19/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:30:58 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
April 19, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

The Steering Committee of Project Open Mind has reviewed our progress to date
and are pleased to announce that the community outreach - the real "heart" of
this project - continues to expand in our target cities. 

Houston - Susan Upchurch presented Project Open Mind to the Gay and Lesbian
Student Organization at Texas A & M University and their local PFLAG chapter.
 They are excited about next weekend's Gay and Lesbian International Festival
 - they will be an exhibitor with Campaign information available.  Several
weeks ago, Susan Upchurch spoke about Project Open Mind in a meeting held by
State Rep. Rodney Ellis for Jewish leaders.  Of course, many members are
still recuperating from the very successful "Moms and Dads Go To Washington"
trip!

Tulsa - The City/County Library Display mentioned in a previous update is now
up and running.  According to Nancy McDonald, the display covers an enormous
area and with the help of professional photography is an impressive exhibit.
 So far, only one complaint was received by one of the County Commissioners
who found no basis for the complaint.   Nancy and her husband, Joe, along
with Kathy and Bill Hinkle appeared on a local tv talk show about gay
bashing.  One highlight was a call in from a Tulsa police officer supporting
PFLAG's position.  Earlier this month, at the University of Tulsa, the
chapter participated in a Community Service Council/Women in AIDS Conference
attended by more than 400 people.  Mary Fisher was the guest speaker.  The
chapter had a Project Open Mind booth and received more than 120 requests for
information.  They are conducting follow-up calls at present.  In another
outreach, they sponsored a panel discussion at the Congregational Church.
 The chapter also sponsored a booth at a recent Health Fair conducted by on
the the hospitals - the response was very positive.  Their priority for now
is outreach to the religious community.  They plan a POM renewal in June.

Seattle/Olympia -  Planning is coming along strongly for the June launch.  In
addition to the previously announced Nordstrom endorsement, other major
corporate endorsements are in progress.  In Olympia, the chapter is
participating in a Safe School Project, has created a disply at the Dept. of
Natural Resources and has conducted training with social workers at the Dept.
of Health and Social Services.  An ambitious 8-week tv film series on cable
access is planned to begin immediately following the launch in which the ads
will be used as "commercials".   

While many factors contribute to public awareness of PFLAG, it is interesting
to note that since the launch last November, attendance is up significantly
at monthly chapter meetings in the target cities.

Action Items

* We continue to need contributions for the expansion of Project Open Mind.
 We will launch publicly in Seattle in June and Minneapolis and one other
 cities in September - Television buys are expensive, yet the most cost
effective  in terms of the numbers of people that are reached.  Please send
your  contribution today!

 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519

 Please indicate "Project Open Mind" on your check.  We thank you for
 helping us fight back against hate speech and discrimination!

* Reminder:  please continue to email, fax or mail us news items about PFLAG
and Project Open Mind from your communities.  The fax number is 202/638 0243,
email: [email-masked], USPS: PFLAG, Attn: Jeffrey Garrett, 1101 14th St.,
NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC  20005

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])