Subject: POM Weekly Update 4/12/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:39:17 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
April 12, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

Welcome Minneapolis!  We are pleased to announce that the Board of the
Minneapolis chapter has voted to bring Project Open Mind to the Twin Cities
and surrounding communities.  Look for a September public launch.  We are
also very pleased to announce our first major corporate endorsement for
Project Open Mind - Nordstrom, the Seattle-based upscale, national retailer.
 Marilyn Cass, Portland PFLAG President announced the $2500 contribution
earlier this week.  In addition, Nordstrom has offered to assist PFLAG in
seeking other corporate endorsements.  Marilyn also reported a gift of more
than $500 from the Washington/Seattle Olympic Imperial Court from a
fundraiser they hosted, "Open Your Heart to Project Open Mind".

Many people have asked about Nancy Rodriquez, one of our Atlanta
spokespersons, who was fired from her job the day after she appeared in the
"Bashing" ad, and participated in the PFLAG Press Conference in Atlanta
launching Project Open Mind.  She is still receiving unemployment - her
employer appealed but lost the appeal - through April.  She remains in active
touch with PFLAG but her case of possible wrongful dismissal is now being
reviewed by Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund.  She also wants everyone
to know she has a brand new grandson - born February 20th!

Media Coverage

4/1 - Providence Journal-Bulletin - news story on "Moms and Dads Trip" -
 interview with Shirley Smith, PFLAG chapter president Tiverton/East Bay
 
Action Items

* We continue to need contributions for the expansion of Project Open Mind.
 We will launch publicly in Seattle in June and two other cities in September
- 
 Television buys are expensive, yet the most cost effective in terms of the
 numbers of people that are reached.  Please send your contribution today!

 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519

 Please indicate "Project Open Mind" on your check.  We thank you for
 helping us fight back against hate speech and discrimination!

* Reminder:  please continue to email, fax or mail us news items about PFLAG
and Project Open Mind from your communities.  The fax number is 202/638 0243,
email: [email-masked], USPS: PFLAG, 1101 14th St., NW, Suite 1030,
Washington, DC  20005

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])