Subject: POM Weekly Update 3/29/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:39:17 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
March 29, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

Despite claims to the contrary, Pat Robertson continues to promote his
anti-gay rhetoric on his 700 Club program.  This week was particularly
significant, given the broadcast of the three-part series "Shattering the
Myths".  As reported to PFLAG by many thoughtful members and supporters, the
hypocritical Robertson inferred that PFLAG was a bunch of misguided parents
and feigned ignorance of the meaning of the name.  His female co-host
commented that it stood for "Parents, Families and Lovers of ...something or
other" and they all had a big laugh.  This occured on their Tuesday, March
26th program.  A letter is being sent by Sandra Gillis, Executive Director,
to Robertson.   See Action Items for further information.

In Tulsa, Nancy McDonald was the keynote speaker at the National Association
of Social Workers convention giving a presentation on Project Open Mind.
  There was an exhibit as well.  The exhibit at the Central Library starts
next week.

Presentations on Project Open Mind were also given by Kirsten Kingdon in
Washington, DC to the Presbyterians on Lesbian and Gay Concerns conference.
 Marilyn Cass brought our message to COCO, a major state gay/lesbian
organization located in Seattle, WA.

Media Coverage

3/15 - OutSmart - Houston g/l magazine - cover picture and story on "Moms
 and Dads Go To Washington" trip
3/16 - The Modesto Bee - newspaper - front page story of Living Section on
 Project Open Mind
3/19 - KXTV - Modesto, CA - interview with PFLAG leader Linda Warden  
3/22 - New Orleans Times-Picayune - news story on "Moms and Dads" trip
 
Action Items

o Contact the Christian Broadcasting Network.  Tell them you reject
 Robertson's disparaging remarks about tens of thousands of loving parents
 and his program's mistatement about who PFLAG is on the Tuesday, March  26th
700 Club program:
 
 Pat Robertson
 CBN
 977 Centerville Turnpike
 Virginia Beach, VA  23463
 (804) 579-7000
 email:  [email-masked]

Contact Governor Romer (CO) to thank him for his veto of the anti-same sex
marriage bill and to continue to oppose legislation that discriminates: 
Address:    136 State Capitol
        Denver, CO  80203
Phone number: (303) 866-2471, fax: (303) 866-2003.
email: [email-masked]

This concludes the weekly update from Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager, ([email-masked]).