Subject: POM Weekly Update 3/22
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:08:00 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
March 22, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

The "Moms and Dads Go To Washington" trip hit town with this week with a
bang!  In what was labeled by the press as the largest parents lobbying
effort on behalf of lesbians, gays and bisexuals, more than 200 parents and
family members lobbied members of Congress for equality and fairness for
their children and relatives.  To date, two additional co-sponsors for the
Employment Non-Discrimination Act(ENDA) were secured - John Bryant (TX) and
Rob Andrews (NJ).  In partnership with the Human Rights Campaign, our members
were quite visible and effective in their efforts.  Tremendous media coverage
was accomplished with print and television news stories here in Washington
and around the country.  In today's Washington Post Reliable Source column,
an item about Sen. Jesse Helms rude behavior towards the Rev. Don Sinclair
and his wife, Kathy, Houston PFLAG, was noted.  "Senator," said Rev.
Sinclair,"you might want to know you are getting on an elevator with a group
of parents of lesbian and gay children, and we love them very much."  Helms
responded,"Well, there have been some strange groups around here this week."
 Of course, a Helms staffer told the paper "I have to differ with the story",
while asking that his name not be used.  So much for honesty and decency from
Helms and his staff.

A White House reception, a photo op on the Capitol Steps, a candlelight
ceremony and a reception hosted by the DC Metro chapter were among the
highlights of the week.  Many new and old friendships were celebrated and a
powerful message of the real meaning of "family values" and love was
delivered.  Our heartiest congratulations to everyone who participated, the
Houston PFLAG chapter and Pat and Gail Rickey in particular for organizing
the trip and HRC for their valuable assistance.  Houston is a Project Open
Mind target city, making this effort even more commendable and impressive.

On Tuesday, March 19th, Mitzi Henderson, National President, Sandra Gillis,
Executive Director, Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind Campaign Manager and
Zoe Hudson, Public Policy Manager met with Assistant Attorney General Eleanor
Acheson and members of her staff.  The purpose of the meeting was to discuss
Project Open Mind and begin an ongoing dialogue with the Department of
Justice on hate speech and hate crimes towards lesbian, gay and bisexual
Americans.  In what had been scheduled as a 15 minute briefing, the meeting
lasted for an hour and a half as the Asst. Attorney General was very
interested in what PFLAG is doing to combat the current hostile climate.  She
was also very helpful in explaining the role of DOJ in law enforcement and
how we can all assist DOJ with their work.  She urges all PFLAGers to work
with their local law enforcement agencies to report hate based crimes to DOJ
using existing reporting procedures whether there is existing hate crimes
legislation or not.
 
Action Items

Email messages of thanks to Houston PFLAG for the "Moms and Dads" project:
email:  Pat Rickey @aol.com

Thank you's to Asst. Attorney General Eleanor Acheson can be sent to:

Eleanor D. Acheson, Asst. Attorney General
Office of Policy Development
US Department of Justice
Washington, DC  20530

Contact Governor Romer (CO) to veto the anti-same sex marriage bill. 
Address:    136 State Capitol
        Denver, CO  80203
Phone number: (303) 866-2471, fax: (303) 866-2003.
email: [email-masked]

Contact Governor Michael Leavitt (UT) to veto any legislation that would
discriminate against lesbian and gay youth or prevent their access to
valuable, life saving information:
Address: State Capitol Building
  Salt Lake City, UT  84114
Phone: (801) 538-1000, fax: (801) 538-1528
email: [email-masked]

This concludes the weekly update from Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager,([email-masked])