Subject: POM Weekly Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:16:27 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
March 15, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

In Seattle, the chapter continues to line up public support in preparation
for the June launch.  Gov.  Mike Lowry has agreed to publicly endorse Project
Open Mind.  Former U.S. Congresswoman Jolene Unsoeld and former Seattle City
Councilwoman, Sherry Harris, have also signed on.   The Seattle gay and
lesbian employee group at Microsoft has donated database software to help
with fundraising, as well as media and community outreach.

Next week brings the Moms and Dads Go To Washington bus trip organized by the
Houston chapter to Washington, DC.  Next week's Update will include a recap
of the ambitious and dynamic project.  The chapter will have a booth at the
International Festival in Houston, April 27th and 28th.   Speaking
engagements are also planned for the Bryan/College Station chapter and the
Gay and Lesbian Student Alliance of Texas A & M University.

The signature ad developed by the Tulsa chapter ran March 3rd (Sunday) in the
Tulsa World newspaper.  Next month the chapter will have an exhibit at the
Central Library that will be promoted throughout all 23 regular libraries.
On March 6th, Nancy McDonald spoke to the Tulsa Community College.

The Atlanta chapter has been busy preparing for their honored role in the
Atlanta Pride Celebration.  President Judy Colb reports speaking engagements
at Georgia Tech, Emory and Georgia Southern.  The group also received a
$2,500 grant from Metro Fund, a local foundation.  In a strategic move, Judy
and her husband, Marvin, led a successful effort to legally take away the
name "Family Concerns" from local anti-gay activist Nancy Schaefer and have
incorporated it as a supportive lesbian and gay organization.  The Colbs were
elected co-presidents of the newly formed group.  They do expect a legal
fight with Schaefer over the right to the name.

In Washington, D.C., GLAAD - National Capital Area presented PFLAG with its
award for Outstanding Achievement in Advertising at their annual Awards
Banquet March 13th.  Jeffrey Garrett from the National office and Kathy
Tuerk, president, DC Metro PFLAG spoke to the Log Cabin club on March 11th.

Media Coverage

1/9 - Tulsa World - supportive column by Pat Padgett
2/25 - Tulsa World - news article on print ads, campaign - interview with
Nancy
 McDonald
2/29 - Southern Voice - news story on the legal taking away of the name
"Family  Concerns" from anti-gay activists by pro-gay activists, including
PFLAG leader  Judy Colb
3/1 - Seattle Gay News - feature article - interview with Marilyn Cass
4/96 - Curve Magazine - monthly lesbian magazine - news story

Action Items

Email messages to support Rep. Ed Fallon(IA) for his speech February 20th in
opposition to anti-gay same sex marriage bill on the floor of the Iowa House:

Rep. Ed Fallon
[email-masked]

Contributions are needed to continue expansion of Project Open Mind to more
cities:

PFLAG
Project Open Mind
P. O. Box 96519
Washington, DC  20090-6519

Please designate "Project Open Mind" on your check.

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager, ([email-masked])