Subject: POM Update Wk of 3/11/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:30:19 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

We have received many requests for a recap of major Project Open Mind events.
 The following is a brief summary since the launch last November 8th:

Project Open Mind was launched nationally on November 8, 1995 with
simultaneous press conferences in Atlanta, Houston, Tulsa and Washington, DC.
 Pat Robertson and his Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) responded
immediately by threatening legal action against the broadcasters in the four
cities.  One Houston station pulled the ads before they aired.  In Tulsa, the
NBC affiliate, and in Washington, DC, the Fox affiliate, began airing the ads
anyway.  CBN sent a second more threatening letter including a demand for
right of reply.  After five days, the Tulsa station pulled the ads.  After
nine days, the Washington, DC station pulled the ads.

While CBN's actions interferred with our media buy attempts, they directly
helped us create a tremendous earned media campaign.  The Kamber Group, our
public relations firm, has estimated the value of the earned media in the
$2.5 - $3 million range.  Extensive national and local media coverage helped
us bring our message to America, despite the censorship attempts by CBN.

Among the major media, we have received coverage from the CBS Evening News
with Dan Rather, the CBS Morning News, MTV News, NPR's "All Things
Considered", the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the New York
Times, USA Today, the Boston Globe, the LA Times, the San Francisco Examiner,
Advertising Age Magazine, the Tom Leykis Show, NewTalk TV and Legal Times.
Local coverage has included major daily newspapers, local news programs and
radio. 

In response to the CBN action, PFLAG did two things:  first, we began to seek
pro bono legal representation and second, we placed two print ads in USA
Today to expose CBN's censorship attempts.  The first ad was placed for the
Thanksgiving travel period and the second ad for the Christmas travel period.
 After our first print ad ran, CBN threatened us directly with legal action,
as well as USA Today's publisher, Gannett. 

In early December, we were accepted on a pro bono basis by Washington, DC's
largest and one of its most prominent law firms, Hogan and Hartson.  The
legal team they assembled includes partners in the firm, the director of the
pro bono department, a nationally recognized First Amendment expert and a
partner who clerked for Supreme Court Justice Powell.

During the period from the launch through the date of this report, our
chapters in the target cities have been doing extensive media and community
outreach.  Religious, civic, political and professional groups have been
given Project Open Mind presentations.  Interviews have been given with
newspapers and local tv and radio stations.  A public film series in Tulsa, a
Hate Crimes Community Meeting in Houston and adoption of Project Open Mind by
the Atlanta Pride Committee are among the major accomplishments.

In early February, Hogan and Hartson sent a seven page letter to Dr.
Robertson and CBN addressing the legal issues raised by CBN in their letters
to broadcasters and to PFLAG.  Citing media law and legal precedents, our
attorneys made it clear that there is no legal basis to CBN's claims.  They
have been asked to do two things:  first, to publicly disagree with our
message and second, to support our right to air our message to broadcasters.
  Otherwise, we will go forward with court action.  To date, we have had no
reply from CBN.

We have begun the second rollout to three more cities.  We have confirmed
Seattle and are working with two other chapters.  Training has been done in
Seattle and the chapter is preparing for a June launch to coincide with Pride
Week.  Media buys will resume shortly.

Public endorsements for Project Open Mind include:

* Cong.  Gerry Studds(MA), John Lewis(GA) and Sheila Jackson Lee(TX)
* Gov. Mike Lowry (WA)
* People for the American Way
* The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
* GLAAD 
* The Names Project Foundation and AIDS Memorial Quilt
* Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
* Office For Church in Society - United Church of Christ
* Working Assets Long Distance
* National Campaign for Freedom of Expression
* Mayor Bob Lanier, Houston
* Mayor Bill Campbell, Atlanta
* Sheriff Jackie Barrett, Atlanta
* State Rep.  Nan Orrock, GA
* ACLU, Teresa Nelson, Exec.  Dir., GA
* GLAAD/DCA - Project Open Mind - recipient of 1996 Media Award "Award
Achievement in Public Service/Advertising

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager,([email-masked])