Subject: POM Update Week Ending 2/23/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:01:27 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
February 23, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

The message of Project Open Mind is still being heard throughout the country.
 Invitations to present our message continue to come in.  Recently, the
following presentations have been made:  Nancy McDonald, National VP, to an
Interfaith group in New York City,  Jean Genasci, National VP,  to a
gay/lesbian group in Los Alamos, NM and to a professional/business group in
Duke City, NM, and Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager, to Thomas Nelson
Community College, Hampton, VA and Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (Pat
Robertson's "backyard")

The Houston chapter is now gearing up for their nationally sponsored "Moms
and Dads Go to Washington" bus trip.  Bringing together Project Open Mind
which educates America about the harmful effects of hate speech and the bus
trip which seeks to gain support for workplace protections for gays and
lesbians has been a tremendous undertaking.  All signs are go for a very
successful effort.

The Tulsa chapter has just concluded another successful film series.  Another
series is planned for early summer.  The first of two ads appeared on
February 18th in Tulsa World along with an article and interview with Nancy
McDonald.  On February 10th, the chapter sponsored a concert by the Gay Men's
Chorus of Oklahoma City.  

Activities in Atlanta have included taping of a local cable program and
taping of an interview with Nancy Rodriquez for a NY cable program.  The
chapter was awarded $2,500 by the Metro Fund in Atlanta.

MEDIA COVERAGE

1/15 - KWGS - Tulsa radio - interview with Nancy McDonald and Bill Hinkle
2/18 - Tulsa World - daily newspaper - interview with Nancy McDonald

Action Items

o Contributions to help with the ongoing expansion are needed:
 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519

Please designate "Project Open Mind" on your check.  Thank you for helping us
continue to bring our message to America.
 
This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager, ([email-masked])