Subject: POM Weekly Update 2.16.96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 20:08:57 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
February 16, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

Planning is underway for the next rollout of cities.  As previously
mentioned, Seattle PFLAG is confirmed with two more cities pending.  Seattle
is off to a strong pre-launch start, with several planning meetings already
held.  We have received strong support from organizations such as Hands Off
Washington (HOW), a grant previously awarded from the Pride Foundation of
Washington, training scheduled for the first weekend in March and a June
launch planned.  Chapters statewide have been invited to attend the training.

We have had no response yet from Pat Robertson and the Christian Broadcasting
Network to the letter from Hogan and Hartson.  It is our hope that CBN will
take our lawyers' advice and agree that our differences should be a matter of
public debate, not lengthy and costly litigation.

The Tulsa chapter continues their weekly film series and will be placing the
signature ad in the Tulsa World next week.  Houston continues to follow up on
their Hate Crimes Community Meeting.  In Dallas, Kathy Massey, Denton
President, gave a presentation to Stonewall Business Association, a
gay/lesbian professional association.  In Washington, DC, Jeffrey Garrett
gave a presentation to the Democratic National Committee's Strategy Meeting
for national gay/lesbian organizations.

MEDIA COVERAGE

1/26 - Seattle Gay News - weekly g/l paper - article by Don Isaac, PFLAG 
2/8 - The Texas Triangle - statewide g/l paper - news story
2/19 - Oklahoma Daily - University of Oklahoma student paper - news story,
letters           to the editor
3/96 - OUT Magazine, March issue - article on Pat Robertson - mention of
PFLAG

Action Items

o Contributions to help with the ongoing expansion are needed:
 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519

 Please designate "Project Open Mind" on your check.  Thank you for helping
 us continue to bring our message to America.
 
This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager, ([email-masked])