Subject: POM Update Week of 2/9/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:51:29 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
February 9, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

Congratulations to the Houston PFLAG for hosting a successful Hate Crimes
Community Meeting on Saturday, Feb. 3rd and press conference on Monday, Feb.
5th.  Nearly 80 people attended the Community Meeting and heard from
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, City Councilman Felix Fraga and
representatives for State Sen. Rodney Ellis, and Councilman   Judson
Robinson.  Representatives from PFLAG, the Houston Police Dept., the Police
Patrolman's Union, the Council of Asian American Organizations, the
Anti-Defamation League, Houston Area Teen Coalition of Homosexuals (HATCH),
Gay and Lesbian Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) and the Montrose Counseling
Center also spoke.

Cong. Sheila Jackson Lee and State Rep. Garnet Coleman spoke at the press
conference.  A statement from Mitzi Henderson was read by national PFLAG
representative, Jeffrey Garrett.  Both events strongly demonstrated Houston
PFLAG's success in linking hate speech to hate crimes and in building
additional support for hate crimes legislation among elected officials at the
local, state and national levels.

Hogan and Hartson has sent a letter to Pat Robertson and the Christian
Broadcasting Network responding to the legal claims raised by CBN's letters
to broadcasters and PFLAG.  The seven page letter clearly refutes any legal
basis to claims of defamation and false light, copyright violation and a
right of reply under certain FCC rules.  The letter gives legal precedents
upholding our attorney's findings.  The letter clearly calls on Robertson and
CBN to publicly disagree with what we have to say, but to defend our right to
say it.  The letter concludes by advising CBN that we prefer the action
stated above but are prepared to resolve this conflict in the courts.

The second rollout of Project Open Mind is underway.  Seattle is confirmed as
one of the next tier of cities.  Decisions are pending on two other cities.

SUPPORT

* The Names Project Foundation and AIDS Memorial Quilt

MEDIA COVERAGE

1/15 - OutSmart - Houston g/l bimonthly magazine - supportive guest column by
 Dale Carpenter, state president of Log Cabin Republicans
2/5 - KTRK TV (ABC) - Houston - news story on Hate Crimes Community Meeting
2/5 - KPRC TV (NBC) - Houston - news story on ads and Community Meeting

 Action Items

o Thank you correspondence for public support of PFLAG and Project Open  Mind
can be sent to:

 State Senator Rodney Ellis State Rep. Garnet Coleman
 512-463-0113    512-463-0524
 FAX: 512-463-0006   FAX: 512-463-1260
 PO BOX 12068   PO Box 2910
 Austin, TX   78711   Austin, TX  78768-2910

 Cong. Sheila Jackson Lee
 202/225-3816
 FAX: 202/225-3317
 1520 - LHOB
 Washington, DC 20515

 Sorry, but no email addresses are yet available.

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager, ([email-masked])