Subject: POM Update 2/2/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:26:24 -0500

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
February 2, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

Community response has been tremendous in Houston for the PFLAG-Project Open
Mind-sponsored Hate Crimes Community Meeting this Saturday, Feb. 3rd.  Cong.
Sheila Jackson Lee will speak along with representatives from a diverse group
of community organizations and the Houston Police Department.  A presentation
of Project Open Mind will be given.  A press conference is scheduled for
Monday, Feb. 5th, to provide the media and the community with results of the
meeting.   Next week's update will provide details of the meeting and press
conference.   

Hogan and Hartson has finished its research and has prepared our written
response to Pat Robertson and the Christian Broadcasting Network.  Their
letter on our behalf will be available to the public the end of next week.

Plans for the next rollout of Project Open Mind are underway and we plan to
announce the next tier of cities in next week's update.

MEDIA COVERAGE

1/15 - KPRC-TV(NBC) - Houston - news story on PFLAG-Project Open Mind and
 Hate Crimes Community Meeting scheduled for Sat., Feb. 3rd
1/96 - Tulsa Family News - Monthly publication - news story
2/1 - Gay News Break - Oklahoma City gay cable program - news story,
interview  with Kelly Kirby, PFLAG Board member

 Action Items

o Donations are needed to continue the expansion of Project Open Mind:

 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519
 Please designate "Project Open Mind" on your check

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager ([email-masked])