Subject: Project Open Mind Update week of 1/15
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:47:31 -0500

Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
January 16, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

We are still digging out of the snow here in Washington, D.C. and regret the
delays in getting information out to you.

Two recent events highlight the importance of Project Open Mind.  January
4th, two gay men were viciously attacked in a Houston suburb.  One of the
men, Fred Mangione, died from his wounds.  The attackers were clearly
identified by police as members of the German Peace Corps, a California-based
neo-Nazi group.  The suspects have been quoted as saying they were "going to
get a fag" and later bragged "we cut up this fag real bad".  A prayer vigil
was held January 10th and Barbara Winston, PFLAG parent and chapter leader
was one of the speakers.  As you know, Houston is one of our target cities
for Project Open Mind.  Our PFLAG leaders are working with other groups and
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee in planning  appropriate responses to this
heinous crime.

On January 11th, as part of Lobby Day, sponsored by Washington Citizens for
Fairness/Hands Off Washington, in which 6 PFLAG chapters participated, a
reception and rally were held.  The television ads were shown at the
reception.  Washington State Governor Mike Lowry and State Attorney General
Christine Gregoire were in attendance.  After viewing the ads, an obviously
moved Gov. Lowry asked to speak.  He gave his public support for Project Open
Mind and said, "It is important that the money get raised to put them on the
air.  It is important that we all stand together against discrimination".

Support

o Governor Mike Lowry (WA)

MEDIA COVERAGE

12/15 - The Texas Triangle - weekly g/l newspaper - supportive letter to
editor from  PFLAG member Mark Gartner
12/22 - The Houston Voice - weekly g/l newspaper - news story; included in
"best"  of the "Best and Worst of '95" year-end wrap-up
12/29 - TWIT - Texas - weekly statewide g/l publication - mention in article
on hate  crimes
12/95 - Community - Albany, NY monthly g/l paper - news story
12/95 - Lambda Weekly - Dallas, TX - g/l radio program - news story
12/95 -  Atlanta Executive Network - monthly g/l publication - news story
1/5 - The Texas Triangle - mention of PFLAG in editorial "Culture Wars and
the  Leadership Vacuum"
1/10 - KWGS - Tulsa NPR affiliate - interviews with Nancy McDonald, PFLAG
   National VP and Bill Hinkle. and local PFLAG parent chapter co-president

Action Items

o Thank you's to Gov. Mike Lowry (WA) for his public support:

 email:  [email-masked]
 fax: 360/753-4110
 USPS: Gov. Mike Lowry
  Office of the Governor
  State Legislative Building
  Olympia, WA  98504-4110

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager ([email-masked])