Subject: POM Update 1/4/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:20:59 -0500

Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
January 4, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

At this time of year, we want to wish everyone a happy and prosperous New
Year.  We also hope that 1996 brings more hope and progress in all of our
efforts to help create a society that is more open, safe and free for all of
its citizens.  

With this update, we are changing to weekly rather than daily.  We will, of
course, provide special updates should significant newsworthy developments
take place.  We plan to expand Project Open Mind to three to five additional
target cities in the near future.  We will, of course, keep you updated on
this important expansion.

Meanwhile, in our three existing target cities,  Atlanta, Houston and Tulsa,
our chapters continue to develop and implement community outreach programs -
a key to the success of Project Open Mind.  Speaking engagements, film
series, advertising, interviews and news articles and programs are some of
the activities designed to reach the media as well as civic, professional and
religious groups.  Community outreach helps bring the message of Project Open
Mind to the local community - condemning hate speech helps create a climate
of intolerance and violence while dispelling myths and misperceptions of
lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans.

Support

Special thanks to Katerina Papadopoulus, a new email supporter, for providing
a gif file of our USA Today ad.

MEDIA COVERAGE

12/95 - Metroline - Connecticut g/l bimonthly magazine - news story
12/95 - Planet Q - Pittsburgh, PA monthly g/l newspaper - news story
12/5 - Focus Point - Minneapolis g/l newspaper - news story
12/17 - WARM - Seattle radio station - "Sunday Morning Magazine" program,
 news story, interview with Marilyn Cass, PFLAG parent and spokesperson
12/20 - The New York Times - Op-Ed from Frank Rich attacking political
tactics of
 the Christian Coalition which mentions PFLAG and our  efforts to
 combat the legal threats made by Pat Robertson's organization
12/22 - Houston Voice - g/l weekly paper - news story, interview with Barbara

 Winston, PFLAG parent and spokesperson
12/23 - WNYC - New York radio station - "NY Best" - news story, interview
with
 Mitzi Henderson
12/25 - Legal Times - national bimonthly legal journal - news item
1/96 - GCN - nationally syndicated g/l cable program - news story, interview
 with Jean Genasci, National VP
1/96 - Out & About - Jacksonville, FL - g/l bimonthly paper - news story,
interviews
 with Rob Banaszak, PFLAG Communications Director and Frieda Saraga, 
 President of the Jacksonville PFLAG chapter

Action Items

o Thank you's to NPR for "All Things Considered" segment can be mailed on 
 line to :  [email-masked] or faxed to:  Debra Fraser, NPR, 713/743-1818

This concludes the weekly update.  Jeffrey Garrett, Project Open Mind
Campaign Manager,([email-masked])