Subject: PARENTS OF GAYS HEAD TO CAPITOL TO LOBBY FOR BILL TO PROTECT AMERICANS ...
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 16:40:51 -0500

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 13, 1996  

  PARENTS OF GAYS HEAD TO CAPITOL TO LOBBY FOR BILL TO  PROTECT  AMERICANS
FROM JOB DISCRIMINATION BASED ON
                                        SEXUAL ORIENTATION
                                
                                    Parents Will Press for Passage
                              of Employment Non-Discrimination Act

                             FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO OUR
                                WEBSITE AT http://www.hrcusa.org

Washington -- Almost 200 parents and friends of gay men and lesbians from all
over the country will travel to the U.S. Capitol on March 19 to lobby for a
bill to prevent discrimination in hiring, firing and promotion based on
sexual orientation, according to the Human Rights Campaign.  The parents --
members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (P-FLAG) --
planned to come by bus caravan from at least 27 states, according to Michael
Roybal, HRC's chief legislative counsel.
     The parents will lobby members of Congress that morning on behalf of the
Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), a bill that would protect Americans
from job discrimination based on sexual orientation.  ENDA would prohibit
discrimination, quotas and preferential treatment on the job. It would not
apply to religious organizations, small businesses or the military.
     "Getting our message from families to members of Congress is critical to
ENDA's chances," Roybal said. "Our polling has shown that most people are not
aware that people can be fired from their jobs just for being gay or lesbian,
and that most Americans think that is unfair."
     A May 1995 poll found that 74 percent of Americans favor preventing job
discrimination against gay people, but that 80 percent are not aware that gay
people are not covered by current civil rights laws. 
     The parents will also take part in a news conference with officials from
the Human Rights Campaign. That evening, they will hold a candlelight vigil
on behalf of ENDA on the steps of the Capitol.
     ENDA currently has 131 co-sponsors in the House and 30 in the Senate.
ENDA has been endorsed by the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, the
nation's largest civil rights coalition, representing more than 185
religious, civil rights and labor organizations. Numerous corporations have
also endorsed the bill, including Quaker Oats, Apple Computer, Harley
Davidson, RJR Nabisco and Xerox.
     Last October, President Clinton endorsed ENDA, making him the first
president in history to speak out in favor of a gay and lesbian civil rights
bill. ENDA's lead co-sponsors in the 104th Congress are Sens. James Jeffords,
R-Vt., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.
     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country. It effectively
lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to ensure
that lesbian and gay Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work
and in the community.
                                                  
                                                      - 30 -
________________________________________________________