Subject: Hawaii Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:32:49 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DECEMBER 3, 1996
CONTACT: (In D.C.):   Shelley Golden
                      202/638-4200
         (In Hawaii): Carolyn Golojuch
                      808/672-9050

           PFLAG CELEBRATES HISTORIC HAWAII MARRIAGE DECISION

        The members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
(PFLAG) today celebrate the Hawaii lower court decision in Baehr v. Miike,
which ruled that prohibiting same-gender marriage is discriminatory. The
decision, if upheld in the appeals process, will enable gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered people to form their families as they choose in
Hawaii, a right most Americans take for granted.
        "We're ecstatic," said PFLAG National Board member and Oahu Chapter
President, Carolyn Golojuch. "PFLAG is working to create a nation that
values all of our family members and friends. I hope my gay son will one
enjoy the same rights and responsibilities of marriage that my husband and
I have enjoyed for many years. We are encouraged by the fact that the
Hawaii court has today chosen to uphold equality over discrimination."
        PFLAG is fully aware, however, that the fight for equality is far
from over. In anticipation of this ruling, many states and the federal
government have passed legislation explicitly banning same gender marriage,
and more state lawmakers will debate the issue when they reconvene. PFLAG
members will continue to educate their elected officials about the
importance of same gender marriage to families.
        "After this time of celebration, we know it will be time to return
to our mission of support, education and advocacy," said PFLAG President
Nancy McDonald, who testified in May, 1996, before a Congressional
subcommittee in opposition to the federal Defense of Marriage Act. "By
writing letters to editors, meeting with legislators or engaging in
community dialogue, PFLAG members will continue to fight stereotypes and
discrimination born of ignorance."

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, their
families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities in every state, with 65,000 household members.

                                      ###