Subject: PFLAG Monthly Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:36:16 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 27, 1996
Contact:        Karyn Robinson, Communications Assistant
        Rob Banaszak, Communications Director
        202-638-4200
        e-mail: [email-masked]

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS (PFLAG)
INVOLVED WITH A VARIETY OF ACTIVITIES FOR MAY AND JUNE

Nancy McDonald, vice-president of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians
and Gays (PFLAG) testifies on Capitol Hill about same-gender marriages,
PFLAG launches two new 30-second Project Open Mind television advocacy ads
in Seattle, and  PFLAG parents are alternate delegates to the Republican
National Convention.

Defense of  Marriage Act
PFLAG Vice President Nancy McDonald of Tulsa, Oklahoma testified before the
House Judiciary Constitution Subcommittee at a hearing on H.R.  3396, the
"Defense of Marriage Act."   McDonald said in her testimony, "I find
instead of defending marriage, I need to defend the people -- gay and
lesbian people -- who are being denied the right to marry...this bill is
yet another piece of legislation that tells the American people, in no
uncertain terms, that we do not value the contributions of gay and lesbian
Americans.  The bill tells me that the federal government does not consider
all Americans equal."

Of her experience before the subcommittee, McDonald said, "I am grateful
for the opportunity to address our members of Congress, but it was clear to
me that the bill is nothing more than election year gay-bashing.  My
experience before the subcommittee confirmed that PFLAG must continue to
play a crucial role in educating our peers, colleagues, and even our
legislators with the truth about our lesbian and gay family members and
friends, so that this type of discriminatory and unnecessary legislation
will become obsolete, and will be ineffective as a divisive political
tactic."

McDonald is a longtime PFLAG member, having co-founded the PFLAG Chapter in
Tulsa, Oklahoma and been Vice President of PFLAG's national Board of
Directors since October, 1995.

Project Open Mind
The second phase of Project Open Mind launched on June 13 in Seattle,
Washington with two new 30-second television advocacy ads that take on the
issues of hate speech against gay, lesbians and bisexuals.  The campaign
uses a two-fold strategy of multimedia nd local communications and
community outreach at the grassroots level.  Targeted cities
Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis will follow with the advertising, public
relations and community outreach campaign.

PFLAG Parents Delegates to Republican Convention
Carolyn  Golojuch and her husband Mike of Oahu, Hawaii are alternate
delegates to the Republican National Convention in San Diego in August.
Carolyn is president of the PFLAG  Oahu chapter.  Carolyn is a precinct
chairman and Mike is a regional chairman and both were delegates to the
Hawaii state convention.  Carolyn and Mike both gave speeches reiterating
their activities supporting Republican candidates in a heavily Democratic
state.  They intend to continue their work for PFLAG.

PFLAG Web Page Address
PFLAG 's national office s Web page went on line June 8.  The Web page's
address is:     http://www.pflag.org

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving more than 55,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 389 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.

###