Subject: POM Update 12/15
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:14:17 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Friday, December 15, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

We are very pleased that the Wall Street Journal picked up the news about
Hogan and Hartson's pro bono representation.  A news item appeared on the
front page in the column "Washington Wire" of today's issue.  Under a
heading, "Fighting Back", the items states, "Parents, Families and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays will announce that Hogan & Hartson law firm will help the
group counter attacks by Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network.  The
group contends CBN pressure on TV stations has blocked its ads against
anti-gay activities.  CBN says the ads misrepresent Robertson."  

PFLAG is disappointed that a recent column in the New York Native was
critical of our ads and our strategy to stop hate speech.  While we realize
that provocative, hard-hitting ads will have supporters and detractors, we
are surprised that a major gay/lesbian publication would print such a column
without contacting the National office of PFLAG to discuss our strategy and
the research that went into it.

Support

* Horizons Community Services, Inc., Chicago

Media Coverage

11/27 - New York Native - gay/lesbian publication - column - unfavorable
11/30 - Echo - Phoenix, AZ - gay/lesbian publication - news story, and column
by  Phoenix chapter president, Bunny Tarquinio
12/14 - San Francisco Examiner - Editorial - Hate and Vulnerability -
discusses the  murders of Roxanne Ellis and Michelle Abdill in Oregon,
PFLAG's ads and  CBN's legal threats
12/15 - WALL STREET JOURNAL - front page news item, "Washington Wire"
  
Action Items

* Expressions of sympathy and support for the families of Roxanne Ellis and
Michelle Abdill can be made to:
 Annette Abdill Real Estate School
 843 E. Main
 Medford, OR  97504
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update -
Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager ([email-masked])