Subject: POM Update 12/14
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:12:45 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Thursday, December 14, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

The press release on Hogan and Hartson follows:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  Contacts:  Jeffrey Garrett
December 15, 1995 Rob Banaszak
 (202) 638-4200

 Hogan and Hartson Agrees to Represent PFLAG On First Amendment
 Issues Raised by Christian Broadcasting Network's Attacks

 Prominent Media Law Firm Will Handle Case Pro Bono

WASHINGTON, D.C. - PFLAG:  Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
announced today that the nationally recognized law firm of Hogan & Hartson
L.L.P. has agreed to assist the organization on a pro bono basis concerning
First Amendment issues raised by attacks from  Pat Robertson's Christian
Broadcasting Network (CBN).  Hogan & Hartson is the largest and one of the
most prominent law firms in the District of Columbia.  Five of its attorneys
are dedicated full-time  to pro bono cases.

 Robertson's CBN has mounted a series of attacks against the grass-roots
organization since PFLAG's "Project Open Mind," a national media and
grassroots outreach campaign designed to combat the spread of anti-gay hate
speech and activities, was launched last month in Washington D.C., and in the
three other target cities of Houston, Atlanta and Tulsa.  The campaign  began
with television ads featuring anti-gay statements by Robertson, Jerry Falwell
and Jesse Helms,  juxtaposed against images of gay-bashing and gay-related
teen suicide. 

 "We are thrilled that such a prominent firm as Hogan & Hartson has had the
courage to stand up for our First Amendment rights," said Mitzi Henderson,
president of PFLAG's board of directors. "With their help, we are committed
to exercise our legal right to get our message on the air and compel CBN to
stop its harassment and censorship attempts."

 Soon after the ads began airing on a limited number of television stations
in the target markets, Pat Robertson and CBN threatened lawsuits to prevent
the ads from airing.  Since CBN made these threats, no stations have agreed
to run the ads.

 "Our campaign is about saving lives by combating violence and hate speech.
 For CBN to block us from the air for political reasons is the height of
callousness," Henderson continued.

 Among the Hogan & Hartson legal team are four partners in the firm: Lee
Bentley, a litigation specialist; Bob Corn-Revere, a former attorney for the
FCC; Allen Snyder, a noted First Amendment expert and member of the firm's
management committee; and Walter Smith, the director of the firm's pro bono
department.

 ###

Media Coverage

11/17 - This Week in Texas - statewide weekly g/l magazine - news story,
picture  from Houston press conference
12/1 - Houston Voice - weekly g/l paper - letters to editor - PFLAG members
Peter  Poit, Tirey Counts and Irv Smith
12/12 - Ground Zero News - national gay/lesbian publication - front page
article 

Action Items

* Expressions of sympathy and support for the families of Roxanne Ellis and
Michelle Abdill can be made to:

 Annette Abdill Real Estate School
 843 E. Main
 Medford, OR  97504

* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update -
Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager ([email-masked])