Subject: POM Update for 12/11/95
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:49:08 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Monday, December 11, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

PFLAG continues to monitor the situation in Oregon closely.  We ask that you
continue to offer your support and expressions of sympathy to the PFLAG
chapter and the gay and lesbian community in Medford.  According to an AP
wire story this afternoon, physical evidence does point to a hate crime,
although we have not heard what the police department's official position is.

Local activities continue in our three target cities.  The tragedy in Oregon
only emphasizes the urgent nature of our message - that hate speech helps
create a climate of violence and intolerance.  

The weekly film series at the downtown Tulsa library continues.  Turnout has
been sufficient enough to warrant the Tulsa chapter continuing the film
series in the month of January.  The signature ad sponsor drive is well
underway and going well.  The chapter identified 30 college campuses for the
college ad mentioned in a previous update.  The ads will begin appearing
tomorrow.  Hats off to our Tulsa chapter for their creative and energetic
community outreach efforts! 

Support

PFLAG wishes to thank the following for their public support:
* Mayor Bill Campbell, Atlanta
* Councilmember Mary Davis, Atlanta
* The Mayor's Safety Task Force, Atlanta
* Sheriff Jackie Barrett
* State Rep.  Nan Orrock, GA
* ACLU, Teresa Nelson, Exec.  Dir., GA
* Gay/Lesbian chapter, ACLU, GA
* Stonewall Bar Association, Atlanta
* Atlanta Pride

Media Coverage
12/95 - Community - monthly g/l newsjournal - news story

Action Items

* Expressions of sympathy and support for the PFLAG chapter in Ashford/Rogue
Valley  can be made as follows:
 PFLAG Ashland/Rogue Valley, POB 13, Ashland, OR 97520; or to the Pacific
 Northwest  Regional Director: [email-masked].
* Contributions in memory of Roxanna Ellis and Michelle Abdill can be made to
Project Open Mind.  Contributions will be designated to bring Project Open
Mind to Oregon.  Send to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
 Please indicate "Project Open Mind" on your contribution
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager