Subject: Project Open Mind 12/08/95 Update
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:03:40 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Friday, December 8th
 
FOR EXTERNAL USE

As many of you may know by now, PFLAG is shocked and horrified by the murders
of two Oregon PFLAG members.  After missing for several days, Roxanna Ellis
and Michelle Abdill were found murdered yesterday in Medford, OR.  Both were
members of the Ashford/Rogue Valley chapter and Michelle was editor of the
chapter newsletter.  Chapter president Cherie Garland plans a meeting with
the media at her home.  Candace Steele, Board member and Regional Director,
has already spoken with the press and expressed her deep personal loss as
well as that of the Oregon PFLAG family.  The murders are suspected to be a
possible hate crime since both women were lesbian activists in both Colorado
and Oregon and police verified that they had previously received threats
against them.

PFLAG National is issuing a press release today expressing our shock and
sympathy.  As details from the police become more clear regarding the nature
of the crime, PFLAG will respond accordingly to the press.  Project Open Mind
seeks to educate America about the climate of violence and intolerance that
hate speech helps create.  If, in fact, the murders are classified as a hate
crime, we will issue another press release immediately.  Until then, we are
also assisting the PFLAG members in Oregon with media coverage.

Support

PFLAG wishes to thank the following for their public support:
* Mayor Bob Lanier, the City of Houston
* Houston Councilmember John Peavy
* St.  Stephens Episcopal Church, Houston
* Bering Community Services, Houston
* Names Project, Houston
* Bering Memorial United Methodist Church, Houston
* HIV Resource Center, Tulsa
* Tulsa Oklahomans for Human Rights
* Community of Hope Church, Tulsa
* Rainbow Village, Tulsa

Media Coverage
11/15 - OutSmart - Houston g/l magazine - news story
12/7 - KPFT Radio, Houston - news story - interview with PFLAG
members/leaders Craig  Stevens and Jane Smith

Action Items

* Expressions of sympathy and support for the PFLAG chapter in Ashford/Rogue
Valley  can be made as follows:
 PFLAG Ashland/Rogue Valley, POB 13, Ashland, OR 97520; or to the Pacific
 Northwest Regional Director: [email-masked].
* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!
This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager