Subject: Project Open Mind Update 12/6/95
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:51:58 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Tuesday, December 5, 1995
 
FOR EXTERNAL USE

To follow-up on one of yesterday's items, we have confirmed the 700 Club
segment regarding recent publicity portraying Pat Robertson and others as
hatemongers.  As we said yesterday, the segment did not mention PFLAG by
name, however we are not aware of any other public campaigns holding
Robertson and other political/religious leaders responsible for the words
they choose - in particular hate speech aimed at lesbian and gay Americans.

Tomorrow is the first day of the four week film series in Tulsa, OK.  As
mentioned previously, the PFLAG chapter has scheduled this free film series
during the noon hour at the downtown Tulsa Library.  Extensive publicity,
especially to downtown businesses has been done.   We will keep you updated
on the success of this creative outreach by the Tulsa chapter.

Media Coverage
 
11/17 - Seattle Gay News - paper - news story
11/29 - Echo Magazine - Phoenix gay magazine - news story
12/1 - Seattle Gay News - two news stories - one local and one national,
interviews  
 with Marilyn Cass, Chapter president and spokesperson
12/4 - WSVN (Fox) - Miami/Ft Lauderdale - news story - "bashing" ad shown
12/5 - San Juan Star - Puerto Rico paper - news story

Action Items

* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:55:24 -0600
From: <[email-masked]> 
Subject: POM Update 12/6/95

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Wednesday, December 6, 1995
 
FOR EXTERNAL USE -- PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY

PFLAG is very pleased to advise you that after weeks of discussion and
evaluation, we have obtained pro bono legal representation.  The nationally
known media law firm of Hogan and Hartson, Washington, DC, notified us today
that they have agreed to represent us to Pat Robertson and the Christian
Broadcasting Network.  They have assembled an impressive legal team that
includes a former clerk to Justice Powell, 1st Amendment experts and a former
attorney with the FCC.  PFLAG is very thankful to Hogan and Hartson for
accepting us as their client.  We also wish to express our gratitude and
thanks to Bill Hinkle, PFLAG parent and with his wife, Kathy, president of
the Tulsa PFLAG chapter, who opened the door for us at H&H.

More good news from the legal front!  We have received copies of letters of
correspondence between the law firm of Cadwalader, Wickersham and Taft (for
Pat Robertson and the CBN) and Gannett.  CW&T advised Gannett in writing that
in their opinion our ad in USA Today amounted to defamation.  The letter
stated, "If this ad is presented again (or others with the same content
pertaining to my clients), I can only say that I urge you and your client to
seriously consider my clients' rights and to reject any ad from PFLAG or
anyone else that characterizes them in such a way".  Gannett's reply from
their Senior Legal Counsel said, in part, "we disagree with your legal
consideration - our view is that the ad represents PFLAG's protected opinions
concerning statements which Mr.  Robertson admits to be accurate".  See
today's actions items for expressing thanks to USA Today and Gannett.

The Tulsa PFLAG chapter continues to expand its community outreach.   Plans
are underway to do ads in college newspapers around the state, including
local PFLAG chapters and phone numbers - they recognize that many students
choose to come out to their families during the Holidays and want the
students to have this information available to them.

Media Coverage

12/1 - The GAYLY - Oklahoma City gay paper - two news stories 
12/3 - The Denver Post - Frank Rich's column - opposing piece from anti-gay
local  columnist, Al Knight
12/95 - The Tulsa Family News - monthly gay paper - news story including
local  coverage of PFLAG leaders - Nancy McDonald, national vice president,
Bill  and Kathy Hinkle, presidents of the Tulsa PFLAG chapter
12/5 - Tulsa World, Today's Events column - PFLAG film series listing
12/6 - The Los Angeles Times - Column by Marvin Liebman on "Christian"
bigotry  that leads to violence with references to PFLAG and our campaign

Action Items

* To express your thanks to USA Today and Gannett, contact:
 Thomas Curley, Publisher
 1100 Wilson Blvd.
 Arlington, VA 22234
 (703) 276-3400
 FAX (703) 558-3956
 (note: at their request, no email address was provided)
* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager