Subject: Project Open Mind Update 12/5/95
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:16:11 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
Monday, December 4, 1995
 
FOR EXTERNAL USE

We have received an unconfirmed report that last Tuesday, Nov.  28Th, on Pat
Robertson's tv program, the 700 Club, Robertson and his co-hosts discussed
the current public efforts to portray them as hatemongers (no direct
reference to PFLAG).  If this report is true, we are pleased to know that Mr.
 Robertson is personally aware of our efforts to hold him responsible for the
words he and others choose to use in attacking our lesbian and gay children
and family members. 

While community outreach continues in the three target cities, PFLAG has
begun to evaluate media and community response to Project Open Mind.  As we
have reported, earned media coverage of the television ads and the Christian
Broadcasting Network threats helped us get coverage we could never have
afforded.  The Steering Committee met last week to discuss national and local
results and plan accordingly.   We have received an overwhelming number of
suggestions and comments on how we should proceed.  PFLAG appreciates the
high level of interest and support that we have received for Project Open
Mind.

Presently, we plan to continue with our strategy of bringing the message of
Project Open Mind - that hate speech contributes to a climate of violence and
intolerance - through media and community outreach.  This will continue to be
accomplished at the local level through local PFLAG chapters.  At the
national level, we will continue media outreach as well as pursuing our own
legal options with regard to our advertising.  The ads will remain an
integral part of media and community outreach.  As such, the ads will not be
used outside of Project Open Mind for the foreseeable future.  We will
continue to evaluate our progress and success and consider our options as we
proceed.  We are also evaluating the possibility of making the entire
campaign available on the information highway.

Corrections

In the November 30th update, in the media coverage, we incorrectly identified
a PFLAG spokesperson on WVGN, Eugene, OR.  The correct name is Elise Self,
not Elizabeth Self.  We apologize for the error.

Also in the November 30th update, in the action items, we listed an incorrect
email address for tv station KFOR, Oklahoma City - the correct email address
is [email-masked].  Again, we apologize for the error.

Media Coverage
 
11/10 - KENR Radio - Houston - "On the Mark with Mark Gilman" talk show,
 interviews with Jane Montgomery, PFLAG parent and Tirey Counts, gay  PFLAG
member 
12/2 - WFTL Radio - Ft Lauderdale - talk show, interview with Mitzi Henderson
12/3 - NY Cable system - news story, interview with Dick Ashworth, PFLAG
parent  and chapter leader
12/3 - KITS - Live 105 - Northern CA - Hibernia Beach talk show - news story,
 interview with Sandra Gillis

Action Items

* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager