From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:07:44 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
November 30, 1995
 
FOR EXTERNAL USE

PFLAG chapters in the three target cities - Atlanta, Houston and Tulsa -
continue to work on media and community outreach.  In all three cities, PFLAG
leaders are meeting with the tv stations to discuss other ways to bring the
message of Project Open Mind to their communities.  In addition, public
speaking engagements are taking place or being scheduled.  While the ads and
the resulting controversy created by the Christian Broadcasting Network
helped PFLAG gain invaluable earned media coverage, the grassroots activities
of Project Open Mind are the real "heart" of the campaign.

In Atlanta, highlights include: the public access cable channel running the
ads as PSAs twice weekly on an ongoing bases; local tv and newspaper
coverage; community outreach to organizations such as the League of Women
Voters, the AT&T gay/lesbian league; the United Reformed Synagogue conference
(5,000 attending); and the Atlanta Executive Network (a gay/lesbian business
group - 600 people in attendance).  The update on Nancy Rodriquez is that her
claim for unemployment was approved by the Georgia Labor Board despite a
protest by her employer.

In Houston, highlights include: continued airing of the ads on Phonoscope, a
suburban cable company; meeting with the major network affiliates; the
University of Houston Violence and Hate Crimes conference; and an upcoming
article by Rev.  Don Sinclair, PFLAG parent and leader, in two national
magazines - the Methodist/United Church of Christ and the Christian Social
Action.

In Tulsa, highlights include: creation of a weekly film festival at noon in
downtown Tulsa being promoted to downtown businesses; development and
placement of two signature ads - individuals and organizations - in the Tulsa
World; and meetings with the Editorial Board of the paper, the Police Chief,
the libraries and talk show producers.

Media Coverage

11/28 - KVGN Radio, Eugene, OR; news story and interview with Elizabeth Self,
 PFLAG parent and her lesbian daughter, Jennifer
11/29 - KENR Radio, Houston; talk show "In Touch With the World" with PFLAG
 parents/leaders Barbara Winston and Don Sinclair
11/30 - KENR Radio, Houston; talk show "Talk Show With a Heart" with PFLAG
 parents/leaders Barbara Winston and Jane and Irv Smith
11/29 - MTV News; news story; repeated on the hour
11/29 - KFOR (NBC) affiliate in Oklahoma City; news story, interview with
Kelly  Kirby, PFLAG Board of Directors
11/29 - Column by Leroy Aarons, syndicated by the New York Times
11/29 - Dec 4th issue of US News and World Report, 1995 Guide to Giving;
listing of  the Christian Broadcasting Network mentioned PFLAG's attack on
Pat  Robertson's anti-gay hate speech

Action Items
* Thank you calls/faxes/emails to KFOR, the NBC affliate in Oklahoma City for
airing a Project Open Mind program with Kelly Kirby, PFLAG Board member:
 - Phone #: 405/424-4444; fax #: 405/478-6337; email: [email-masked]
* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions to:
 PFLAG
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC 20090-6519
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager